Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Complete dissamebly of kegs for cleaning between keg batches  (Read 3948 times)

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
Complete dissamebly of kegs for cleaning between keg batches
« on: January 06, 2016, 02:16:17 pm »
Hello and good afternoon., raining like crazy here in CA

I kegged already once (you guys hleped tremendously!)  and soon to be my second round of tapped beer!

Question?  Am I supposed to disassemble each keg completely as well as flush out the lines , between keg batches?

I did that when I 1st received the kegs. Took each keg apart fully and sanitized every thing with hot water and Starsan, to include include beer lines, MFL disconnects, Perlick Faucets/ Shanks assembly.

Am I supposed to do that for each time I  reuse the keg with new beer?

So whats the procedure servicing  schedule between kegs batches...????

JUST A REGULAR GUY WHO BREWS!
Aplaudir Amigos Y Amigas  :)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Complete dissamebly of kegs for cleaning between keg batches
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 03:11:11 pm »
Are you supposed to?  I don't know for sure.

However, I do know that you do not NEED to.  I only break them down once in awhile.

My typical MO is simply to rinse and sanitize.  If necessary, I will do a detergent soak and scrub the interior.

I also make sure to flush the dip tube with water and sanitizer.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 03:45:39 pm »
probably not necessary, but I do since its pretty easy - rinse them out well, then disassemble, fill with hot pbw (or cleaner of your choice) put all the pieces inside and let soak (I usually do for longer than recommended since life gets in the way). dump, rinse, reassemble.  Sanitize (assembled) just prior to refilling.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 03:49:56 pm »
If you plan to do it, keep the pieces from each keg with that keg.

I don't know if you have used kegs or not, but not all have posts that are interchangeable.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 04:02:56 pm »
If you plan to do it, keep the pieces from each keg with that keg.

I don't know if you have used kegs or not, but not all have posts that are interchangeable.

That is good advice. I have kegs with all different combos of lids, posts, longer and shorter diptubes, etc. Some things interchangeable, but not always.
Jon H.

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 04:28:26 pm »
Thanks guys... good answers/ advice  :)

Parts: yea I noticed each keg has  different fittings here and there.. so will keep them separate and with each. keg....  ;)

Offline bucknut

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 05:18:32 pm »
I'll hook up from my water faucet through the gas connection and flush with hot water, then add some pbw and soak, then hook up a picnic tap and flush a bit of the solution, then empty and rinse with more hot water. Been doing this for a couple years now and have yet to break them down. I have replaced my beverage tubing and picnic taps recently.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 07:08:06 pm »
I do take them apart, rinse and then usually do a quick soak. I fill the keg with warm water and add some PBW, toss the keg parts inside. Then rinse and sanitize because I usually only wash them once they are needed. I need to get a little better about cleaning them once the keg is kicked.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 08:40:16 pm »
I rinse with hot water as soon as it blows. I will add a little hot water and pbw. I then seal and shake and let sit for 10 minutes. Dump, rinse, and add Starsan. Run through the line until empty. Keg is purged and ready to go. I beak them down if it is an IPA or anything with additives like oak in the keg. They get an overnight soak.
Jeff B

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 09:22:27 pm »
I use "Marks Keg and Carboy Washer" to wash with Oxiclean then repeat with Starsan to sanitize. I only break down occasionally. I hate removing the posts. I always seem to wrap my knuckles loosing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 12:02:00 am »
Great maint. and cleaning tips.   :)

My milk Stout and Porter are femrnting away.. Will be tansfered into my 2 kegs  in about a montb ..which are  almost dunzo...  ;)
Need to buy more..new not used this time :)

Gracias amigos!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 01:32:11 pm »
I guess it's because I am anal retentive, but I disassemble each keg after it is empty and clean everything.  It gives me a chance to examine the hidden gaskets on the dip tubes and the the poppets as well.  I clean mine with a bulk tank cleaner that is used in the dairy industry.  You can also use PBW but I save that for cleaning my fermenter and brewing equipment since the dairy stuff is cheaper.  FYI, I do one keg at a time so I don't run into the issue of mixing the plugs between kegs.  I can usually clean a keg in about 5 minutes or so, including disassembly and reassembly.

Once the kegs are cleaned and rinsed three times, I pressurize them with a few psi of CO2 and store them until I am ready to use them (this allows me to test them to see if they hold pressure).  I them mix up 5 gallons of Saniclean in the keg, roll the keg on the floor and stand it upside down for about 5-10 minutes.  I also push down the beer out and gas in poppets and allow the dip tubes to fill with sanitizer.  When the keg is sanitized, I either pump the sanitizer into the next keg, if I am filling multiples, or into my Rubbermaid cooler for storage.  This way I can have relatively fresh sanitizer on hand for the next brew day.

You don't have to do this as often as I do, but this way I make sure that everything is totally cleaned.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 01:55:04 pm »
We have two of the Mark's keg washers. Kegs are disassembled every time and stored pressurized with a bit of remaining sanitizer in them. Once they are disassembled, cleaned, sanitized, and pressurized they get a little tag that says "S+P" for sanitized and pressurized. All keg parts stay with that keg.

When I need one, I just pull one out of the "S+P" stack, pull the pin to see if it holds pressure well, dump out the remaining sanitizer, fill, and re-pressurize. If it has no pressure, I know something is off.

When we blow a keg, we rinse the line immediately with BLC or Penetrate and take the keg off. The dirty keg goes in the dirty pile, and then those are cleaned in batches as needed. Myles usually does 4-6 kegs at a time.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 02:36:40 pm »
I disassemble and sanitize my kegs each time they blow.  I let them stack up until I have 4 or 8 to clean.

I break down the first keg and rinse it, run a brush through the dip tube and then throw all the parts inside the keg and fill it with hot PBW.  I set that one aside and then start on the second one.  Once the second one is ready for a soak I transfer the PBW from the first keg to the second and rinse the first with hot water.  The first keg gets setup upside down in a homer bucket with all it's parts to drip out.

Repeat until all kegs are clean and draining.

Swirl some sanitizer through the first keg and it's parts and reassemble and pressurize it.  Again repeat until all the kegs are done.  Then throw them in the cabinet until I need them.

Like Amanda said, if one of them isn't pressurized when I want to use it I know there is a leak and I use a different keg and then fix the leaky.

It's probably overkill but seems to save me time and definately saves me money on chemicals.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?