Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Citrus IPA Recipe?  (Read 2665 times)

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
Citrus IPA Recipe?
« on: January 22, 2016, 02:52:24 pm »
So I am a partial mash brewer. Ive used the same grain bill on a few ipas now and I like how it comes out. This time I'm using different hops. Is 20 ounces too much?

Grains:
2lbs Golden Promise
1lb Munich Malt
1lb Flaked Oats
8 ounces Crystal 40L

Malt Extract:
6.6 lbs Briess Pale Ale Liquid Extract (add half at boil and add half last 20 minutes of boil)

Hops:
1 oz Warrior - 60 minutes
2 oz T'N'T - 15 minutes
2 oz Mandarina Bavaria - 15 minutes
1 oz Citra - 15 minutes
2 oz T'N'T - 5 minutes
2 oz Mandarina Bavaria - 5 minutes
1 oz Citra - 5 minutes
2 oz T'N'T - flameout/20 minutes steep
2 oz Mandarina Bavaria - flameout/20 minutes steep
1 oz Citra - flameout/20 minutes steep
Dry Hop 5 to 7 days
2 oz T'N'T
2 oz Mandarina Bavaria
1 oz Citra

Yeast
Wyeast American Ale II - 1272

Should I knock all those 2 ounces down to 1? Is it too much hops?

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Citrus IPA Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 02:58:39 pm »
Have you plugged the Alpha Acid %'s of those hops into some brewing software to see how much bitterness will be contributed to the beer?  You may want to start there.

Is this a full boil or partial boil?

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 02:58:48 pm »
That is a lot of hops. What is your predicted OG and IBU figures? Looks more like a Double IPA to me...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 03:21:07 pm »
First of all... You have 21 oz there  ;)

Secondly, this is America! Brew it up! There's a handful of us who have utilized that many hops. I would just use them differently.

I would push the 15 minute addition out to 10 minutes. Then take the 5 minute addition and split it in two. Add half of it to your flameout addition and add the other half to you dry hop charge. That's my two cents, but you'll also have a good beer as is.
Frank

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 03:34:05 pm »
I forgot to add the warrior hops when i counted lol.   I used beersmith and it says 120 ibus  (I once made an IPA that said it was 100 ibus and didnt taste it).  I just had 8 ounces of TNT and 8 ounces of Mandarina and 4 ounces of citra. I figured it would be a very citrusy ipa or double ipa. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 04:15:31 pm »
Disclaimer - I use a lot of hops in IPA, too.  Ironically, I brew a lot of subtle, balanced beers too, but I hit IPA (and APA ) pretty hard, often IIPA level hops in AIPA. I used 19 oz in my last IPA FWIW. Satisfies my hop jones. golfgod04 - I agree with the advice from brewinhard about controlling the bitterness in software. IMO a BU:GU of around 1.2 is good for bitterness in AIPA, then all the other hops you add go to flavor and aroma (where I love them). My $0.02.

Edit - Have you used this many hops before though?  It's hard to answer if it's 'too much' because we don't know your goals or preferences.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 04:30:20 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 06:36:54 pm »
I use a similar amount of hops in 3 gallons of IPA, so no - I do not think that is too much hops. But if it were me, I'd take everything between 60 minutes and the end of the boil and move them to the whirlpool. That will give you the best bang for your buck.

As far as the IBU's go, your perception of bitterness maxes out between 60 and 80 IBU's, so really don't waste your time worrying about your IBU's on a big IPA. Anything over 70 or so might as well read "MAX". Just focus on your flavor and aroma and you'll be fine.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 07:18:23 pm »
Ive never used that many hops in a brew.  Im trying to make a really citrusy ipa and I figured that hop schedule and amounts was a great way to do it.  I can certainly adjust my schedule and why I reached out for anyone else that has used similar amounts of hops.

Offline Al Hounos

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 09:06:04 pm »
Do you keg? You could move all those 15 minute additions to a keg hop.
If not I still agree with erockrph, I don't boil hops that I want to taste. How about 1/4 of everything at flameout, 1/4 after hopstand naturally cools to 170, and 1/2 at dry hop? Although 10oz dry hop does seem like diminishing returns. I've never used that much, so I dunno though.

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 09:26:31 pm »
so are you saying remove the hops at 15 minutes and at 5 minutes and make my flameout/hop stand hops higher?

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 02:21:36 pm »
Do you keg? You could move all those 15 minute additions to a keg hop.
If not I still agree with erockrph, I don't boil hops that I want to taste. How about 1/4 of everything at flameout, 1/4 after hopstand naturally cools to 170, and 1/2 at dry hop? Although 10oz dry hop does seem like diminishing returns. I've never used that much, so I dunno though.

With 10 oz of dry hops you could potentially lose quite a bit of beer to absorption from the hops.  For my big IPA's I typically use at least 6 oz of dry hops, but no more than 8.  I get a huge aroma with 6 oz of dry hops FYI.

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 03:48:55 pm »
im going to dry hop with 5 ounces, maybe I mistyped earlier.

2 ounces Mandarina
2 ounces TNT
1 ounce Citra.

I ended up brewing this with a little less hops.  Im stuck in a nonblizzard blizzard so i figured might as well brew.