Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Getting hot water in my garage  (Read 4395 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Getting hot water in my garage
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 09:15:43 am »
Some of this depends upon the mineral content of your water. If you have softer water then running hot water for food or beer probably isn't a big deal. However for those of us not in that situation it's terrible water. When I flush the water heater out comes rocks about the size of aquarium gravel. The water from the hot water heater doesn't taste good and the mineral content changes the flavor of coffee and tea. Beer too, if one were to use it for brewing.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 09:22:19 am »
Some of this depends upon the mineral content of your water. If you have softer water then running hot water for food or beer probably isn't a big deal. However for those of us not in that situation it's terrible water. When I flush the water heater out comes rocks about the size of aquarium gravel. The water from the hot water heater doesn't taste good and the mineral content changes the flavor of coffee and tea. Beer too, if one were to use it for brewing.

Definitely true!  We have good water here in Virginia Beach.  Very soft and a very low mineral content.  The last place I lived had similar characteristics.  I'm spoiled.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 02:45:19 pm »
My wife and argue quite often about drinking hot water from our kitchen faucet.  I wont even use that water to cook pasta.  My wife however, will use it to start her tea. 

Don't really know why I don't like the idea, maybe it's just that that water has been sitting in a tank for a while.

Most hot water heater tanks are glass lined anymore (AFAIK) so there should n problem caused sitting in the tank.

For me the only problem would be the sedimentation changes from heating the water. 

I will admit that I use hot water in the kitchen to get a jump start on some cooking tasks.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 08:33:47 pm »
My wife and argue quite often about drinking hot water from our kitchen faucet.  I wont even use that water to cook pasta.  My wife however, will use it to start her tea. 

Don't really know why I don't like the idea, maybe it's just that that water has been sitting in a tank for a while.

Most hot water heater tanks are glass lined anymore (AFAIK) so there should n problem caused sitting in the tank.

For me the only problem would be the sedimentation changes from heating the water. 

I will admit that I use hot water in the kitchen to get a jump start on some cooking tasks.

Paul

I've been cooking pasta in water from the hot tap for years now and I only talk a little funny.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.