Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Weyermann Abbey Malt  (Read 7611 times)

RPIScotty

Re: Weyermann Abbey Malt
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 01:08:18 pm »

Weyermann is probably not responding, due to two factors...
1) It's the week of Christmas.
2) The Germans really don't seem to respond to emails as often as we do, in the US.

You are correct about getting a Weyeremann malt report by scanning the sack.
And...Dingman's is going to be completely different than Weyermann.
If you have Weyermann, ignore any data on Dingman's, because they know their malt & how it can be used.

I might recommend seeing if Northern Brewer can send you a scan of a recent package & see if you can get data from it.
It will likely get you much closer than Dingman's data.

I was just speaking generally. It's a close relative to Aromatic spec wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ancient Abbey

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 02:28:08 pm »
Weyermann is probably not responding, due to two factors...
1) It's the week of Christmas.
2) The Germans really don't seem to respond to emails as often as we do, in the US.

You are correct about getting a Weyeremann malt report by scanning the sack.
And...Dingman's is going to be completely different than Weyermann.
If you have Weyermann, ignore any data on Dingman's, because they know their malt & how it can be used.

I might recommend seeing if Northern Brewer can send you a scan of a recent package & see if you can get data from it.
It will likely get you much closer than Dingman's data.

That was my thinking too.  There is so much marketing that you cannot make any assumptions anymore.  I was hoping someone on the site might have a sac and could send me the link to the PDF.  However...

I chatted with a tech on the NB site, and he claims to have done a smash beer with it.  So, it will obviously self-convert, and he is going to look into correcting the info on the website.  He is also going to try and have someone in the warehouse scan the barcode on a sac and send me the PDF link.  I also sent an email to the creator of the online tutorial for how to use Weyermann's system for looking up batches, but I got an auto reply that he is off until January for the holidays.  So, I'll post what I find out.  Sounds like it is consistent with a high-kilned malt in between a dark munich and melanoidin with a minimum of 25-30 DP. 

RPIScotty

Weyermann Abbey Malt
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 02:54:34 pm »
Either way it sounds like an interesting malt for Belgians.

[EDIT: Barring confirmed DP values for both malts and the fact that Aromatic is Summer barley with Abbey being Spring barley, they both share nearly identical specs.

Aromatic - moisture (4.5%), DBFG (79%), 19L, Max Grist (<= 30%)

Abbey - moisture (4.5%), DBFG (75%), 16-19L, Max Grist (<= 50%)

I know from tasting both that the flavor in grain form is very similar.

I can't see them being very different, but I'd be interested to know what the DP is for both. It definitely isn't a coincidence that Weyermann has it in its Belgian malt line. I'm going to try and reach out to Dingemans to satisfy my own curiosity and see what the DP of the Aromatic is.]

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 04:53:05 pm by RPIScotty »

Ancient Abbey

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 05:33:04 pm »
Northern brewer has Dingemans Aromatic listed at 30 DP. 

They are possibly different strains of barley too, not just different harvests.  Seasonality (and strain) can impact malt in a lot of ways, all ending up with downstream differences in brewhouse performance and flavors.

RPIScotty

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 05:39:42 pm »
Not sure if this helps:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=10514.0

Ancient Abbey

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 05:36:41 am »
Here is what I got from Weyermann.  "Here is the answer with a little delay because of the christmas holidays: Weyermann® Abbey Malt is produced on kilns. The Diastatic power is 50-100 WK. I hope this helps! Greetings from Bamberg"

DP = 80 in this analysis sheet.  No kolbach info, which is disappointing.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:48:53 am by Ancient Abbey »

RPIScotty

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 08:45:57 am »
I stand very much corrected then. Abbey malt is more of a specialty base malt then? Interesting.