Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Zymatic Questions  (Read 1571 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Zymatic Questions
« on: January 07, 2016, 08:11:42 am »
I'm thinking of getting one as part of a cellar brewery but have some questions.
1. Does it produce much steam/moisture? Having to also shell out for an exhaust system could be a deal breaker.
2. Is it safe to run while not at home? One thing that appeals to me is the possibility of setting up before work, setting a timer (maybe this is built in?), and having the wort ready around when I got home from work.
3. Ideally I will set up running water in the basement brewery. If that isn't feasible right away, would carrying the parts up and down stairs to kitchen to clean be easy or are there many different parts to clean?

Anything else Zymatic owners can tell me that would seem relevant to my situation would be great.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Zymatic Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 08:14:47 am »
I'm thinking of getting one as part of a cellar brewery but have some questions.
1. Does it produce much steam/moisture? Having to also shell out for an exhaust system could be a deal breaker.
2. Is it safe to run while not at home? One thing that appeals to me is the possibility of setting up before work, setting a timer (maybe this is built in?), and having the wort ready around when I got home from work.
3. Ideally I will set up running water in the basement brewery. If that isn't feasible right away, would carrying the parts up and down stairs to kitchen to clean be easy or are there many different parts to clean?

Anything else Zymatic owners can tell me that would seem relevant to my situation would be great.

No steam....many people use them indoors.  My LHBS uses ine ritght in his shop

Maybe OK, likely OK, but I still wouldn't do it

Cleaning consists of putiing the grain basket and a coule screens in the dishwasher....easy
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 08:28:44 am »

No steam....many people use them indoors.  My LHBS uses ine ritght in his shop

Maybe OK, likely OK, but I still wouldn't do it

Cleaning consists of putiing the grain basket and a coule screens in the dishwasher....easy
Good info Denny. Not sure if I would be comfortable leaving it either and now that I think of it my girlfriend definitely wouldn't be. We don't run washer/dryer/dishwasher while away for more than a few minutes so that makes sense. It would be so convenient to do that but I would probably be too worried.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 04:17:56 pm »
Yeah and no timer to fire up when t starts brewing. It's my main requested feature!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 08:34:13 pm »
I leave the house during the brew day. Nothing blew up.

I keep mine in the insulated garage and run it with the doors closed. The worst it does is bring the temp up to 60-65 from 45-50F. Not a bad deal in the winter.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article