Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Magazine Subscriptions  (Read 2452 times)

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
Magazine Subscriptions
« on: January 08, 2016, 02:53:07 am »
Hey guys just wanted to know if anyone subscribes to any other craft beer magazines.?
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Magazine Subscriptions
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 04:58:33 am »
I've gotten BYO (Brew Your Own) for years.  It's a good one.
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 06:51:22 am »
+1 to BYO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 06:56:26 am »
Yep "Brew Your Own" is the only other magazine I read besides "Zymurgy".  Also, More Beer's website hosts all of the old "Brewing Techniques" issues.  I read through those occasionally.

http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 07:08:48 am »
Is there anything beside BYO? I cancelled my subscriptions because it was basically on repeat after 2 years.

We get Zymurgy & Imbibe at the house. I was thinking about All About Beer or something, but I don't really need another thing laying around.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 08:20:27 am »
Craft Beer & Brewing.  Started out as a quarterly in Spring, 2014 and with the 5th issue went every other month.  Single issue price at $10 is high but with a subscription, it's not too bad.  Found my receipt and I paid $24 (after a discount) for 6 issues.  Each issue loosely focuses on a particular style.  The Dec/Jan 2016 issue highlighted Big Beers with 4 recipes for Barleywines and Old Ales starting at 8.3%.  There are also articles about brewers, bars, etc. as well as a set of articles about English Cask Ales.  Overall, I've enjoyed this magazine and I'll probably continue to get it.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

RPIScotty

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 08:41:25 am »

Craft Beer & Brewing.  Started out as a quarterly in Spring, 2014 and with the 5th issue went every other month.  Single issue price at $10 is high but with a subscription, it's not too bad.  Found my receipt and I paid $24 (after a discount) for 6 issues.  Each issue loosely focuses on a particular style.  The Dec/Jan 2016 issue highlighted Big Beers with 4 recipes for Barleywines and Old Ales starting at 8.3%.  There are also articles about brewers, bars, etc. as well as a set of articles about English Cask Ales.  Overall, I've enjoyed this magazine and I'll probably continue to get it.

+1. I don't subscribe but their websites is great. Tons of recipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 08:57:28 am »
NAturally, I'm biased towards Beer Advocate, the Magazine, but that's because I have a column there. :) (Also, the mag itself is pretty damn spiffy - they do a really good job with it)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 09:04:00 am »
I used to subscribe to All About Beer. It's a good mix of beer and brewing topics. I gave it up with several other magazine subscriptions because I didn't have time to read them and they were just piling up around the house.

I've bought a couple issues of Craft Beer & Brewing but $10 is a steep price.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 11:30:50 am »
Thanks for the tip on Craft Beer & Brewing and Beer advocate. I just dug through the pile of magazines on my desk and found like 3 or 4 of each, some still in plastic shipping bags. I have some new reading material!

If you have heard of Home Brew Finds they posted you can get a year of The Beer Connoisseur for free. Not sure I have read it but it is free with a promo code, (I don't know but there maybe some strings attached)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 11:36:21 am by boulderbrewer »

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 12:52:20 pm »
Thanks for the tip on Craft Beer & Brewing and Beer advocate. I just dug through the pile of magazines on my desk and found like 3 or 4 of each, some still in plastic shipping bags. I have some new reading material!

If you have heard of Home Brew Finds they posted you can get a year of The Beer Connoisseur for free. Not sure I have read it but it is free with a promo code, (I don't know but there maybe some strings attached)

Just got my free year subscription for Beer Connoisseur. Does have a promo code. But it worked.
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 05:41:21 am »
Draft is decent.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 05:35:33 pm »
I have subscribed to craft beer and brewing since nearly their beginning (missed the first issue) and I like it alot. I am definitely at the point where I need to drop it or BYO, think between them I probably have 10-12 unread issues: life is more important than reading about beer, right? I'll just save them and read them all on the beach when I retire in 20-30 years
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 06:27:41 pm »
+1 I really enjoy this magazine. Has some fantastic food recipes as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 01:14:32 pm »
Got an email from Craft Beer & Brewing yesterday (1/13/16) saying if you have a Apple device, you can download their app and have access to all their issues if you are a current subscriber.  There you go, Frank, issue #1!
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.