Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hose on first?  (Read 5855 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Hose on first?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 10:43:58 am »
The perlick flow control faucets have some negative reviews due to some internal parts not being of a high enough quality stainless to pour ciders or other highly acidic beverages.

Steve, is this issue confined just to the flow controls that you're aware of ?  I haven't seen their other faucets mentioned (I use the 630SS) anywhere as an issue for that. Seems weird that they switched to an inferior grade of SS for just those. Just curious since I pour ciders from the 630SS.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 10:53:29 am »

The perlick flow control faucets have some negative reviews due to some internal parts not being of a high enough quality stainless to pour ciders or other highly acidic beverages.

Steve, is this issue confined just to the flow controls that you're aware of ?  I haven't seen their other faucets mentioned (I use the 630SS) anywhere as an issue for that. Seems weird that they switched to an inferior grade of SS for just those. Just curious since I pour ciders from the 630SS.
Adventures in Homebrewing addressed this in a question answer on their site.

Q: Why the warning around not recommending this faucet for low pH bevs? The Perlick site claims that the 650SS is WINEcertified. If it is SS, seems it should hold up to more acidic liquid?

A: We have learned that this faucet does include stainless parts that do not work well with low pH beverages from Perlick. This was verified with Perlick after a customer was having issues with a sulphur smell from the faucet.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Perlick-650SS-flow-control-faucet_p_4896.html

Offline Stevie

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 11:00:19 am »

Q: Why the warning around not recommending this faucet for low pH bevs? The Perlick site claims that the 650SS is WINEcertified. If it is SS, seems it should hold up to more acidic liquid?

A: We have learned that this faucet does include stainless parts that do not work well with low pH beverages from Perlick. This was verified with Perlick after a customer was having issues with a sulphur smell from the faucet.

Yeah, from what I have read it's only the flow control.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 11:03:01 am »

Yeah, seems a shame to sell it as 'wine certified'. I'm mostly concerned  that the problem might well exist on their other faucets, too. Seems kinda likely.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 05:28:34 pm »
When I read the title of this thread all I could think was...

"Third Base!"
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 05:36:37 pm »

When I read the title of this thread all I could think was...

"Third Base!"
Hose on first, What's on second, I don't know's on third.

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 06:58:34 pm »
I personally don't get the marketing for this product. As a travel keg for camping or picnics or whatever, I can totally see something like this. Then again, I'd opt for another setup even in those conditions, so I'm not really the target audience for this.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 07:32:12 pm »
It would be an interesting conversation to have with Williams. I can see this for the occasional small-batch urban brewer with a busy life and without easy access to CO2, spare fridges, storage space, etc. I can see why hoselessness is appealing -- one less thing to worry about. Like prewashed lettuce.

In the end, I bought a used 2.5 gallon Italian keg today from someone in the local brew club, who had been using it as part of a camping setup using a converted cooler etc., and I visited Mathesons (just 1.1 miles from my house) and the guy there let me see and lift a 5-lb CO2 canister (or whatever they are called). Somehow the CO2 issue had become larger and larger in my head, and seeing and touching the gear in real life was helpful. I can go with a basic picnic tap + hose and clamp; Taprite regulator + hose & clamp; and a new canister. Where I live right now and for the foreseeable future, that will work. When the Intertap flow control faucet becomes available, I'll get that.

The fellow who sold me the keg threw in ball lock disconnects plus two 45g canisters of co2 and a charger. He explained the last two were for dispensing on the go, not really for kegging. :-)

I think the first batch I keg (an oatmeal stout) will have to be called "Third Base..."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 07:37:54 pm »
The fellow who sold me the keg threw in ball lock disconnects plus two 45g canisters of co2 and a charger. He explained the last two were for dispensing on the go, not really for kegging. :-)

That would be my assumption as well. One of the 2 main benefits to kegging for me is being able to force carbonate (the other being only cleaning and sanitizing 1 vessel vs 50). I wouldn't think the c02 canisters would contain enough c02 to do the job right. Maybe I'm mistaken.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 07:45:59 am »

That would be my assumption as well. One of the 2 main benefits to kegging for me is being able to force carbonate (the other being only cleaning and sanitizing 1 vessel vs 50). I wouldn't think the c02 canisters would contain enough c02 to do the job right. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Based on threads on other fora, I think it's possible the canisters could force carb one 1.75 or 2.5 gallon keg. I don't know how *well,* but the "Paramount Kegging System" (I love that Williams named this package--kind of genius) isn't targeted at competition-league brewers. If it's good enough to make the brewer happy and impress friends and family, then a compact, self-contained kegging setup that can fit in just about any fridge and doesn't require expeditions for CO2 may have a home in the homebrew universe, not to mention the holiday shopping universe.

What my CO2 project made me reflect on is the potential of the *packaging* aspect of homebrewing being a hurdle for maintaining the hobby. Planning for a brew day (recipes, starters, etc.), and then mashing and brewing, are the fun parts of the process; and especially for new brewers, fermentation continues to be fun (at this point I just tuck the beer in the fridge, set the controller, and check in every few days). You can't say that about bottling; it's laborious, and it's not like you feel "wow, look how well I bottled that beer, like I bottled the last 20 batches." But bottling is also easy and inexpensive, with very few moving parts. The alternatives to bottling are either low-end dispensing systems (Tap-A-Draft, Party Pig)--been there, meh--or kegging. Companies such as AIH have figured out there's a market for packaging up kegging components and selling kegging kits to those of us with no kegging experience. But there's still a learning curve and there's still the hassle of finding and then replenishing CO2, and indeed there are hoses and clamps and the CO2 canister to deal with. it was a question I set aside for over a year while I dealt with other things in my life, including moving from a city where CO2 was a hassle to procure, to a larger home in a smaller city where I am one mile from a friendly and courteous purveyor of the same. Most homebrewing inventions and new methods seem to be related to ease of use. I would predict seeing more inventions related to dealing with the packaging aspects and marketed at new/casual/urban brewers. Thus endeth the Reflection. :-)
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member