Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2015 Hop crop  (Read 9337 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
2015 Hop crop
« on: January 11, 2016, 12:06:25 pm »
from my LHBS. Is there a shortage ...at least for the homebrewing community?

Hop Pre-Order Info

We've been working hard to get you your pre-order hops. They are still in the pipeline and will be headed your way. If you take note, this year's hops are not available at any homebrew stores. If they are claiming they are this year's hops they are passing off last year's crop as the newest.

L.D. Carlson is the only distributor in the U.S. that handles the Hop Union grown and packaged product, and they have not received any of this year's crop.

There has been a buyout. Hop Union is now part of Y.C. Hops. In the transition, the inability or lack of desire to fulfill the homebrewing market with timely service and a volume of hops that would satisfy the demand for their product has been obvious. We have now been shuffled back another month. Your hops will be on their way, but we can not get a specific date from anyone, only that they will come. A loose estimate is 4-6 weeks.

If the new timeline is too great of a wait, we completely understand, we are frustrated also, and will refund anyone that requests. Keep in mind, our allocation of hops has been cut by 75% this year, and your pre-orders are the majority of that allocation. We will most likely be sold out of specific pre-order hops all year. Your pre-orders make up that much volume of what we will receive. There is no guarantee you will get your hands on these hops if you do request a refund, and they will surely be at a much higher price point caused by this scarcity.

It is a real shame when the end consumer, the die hard beer lovers and homebrewers are the last to be served.

Sorry for the wait,
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: 2015 Hop crop
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 12:09:08 pm »
Nope, no shortage at all.  I just got an order from Hop Heaven and he has plenty of stock.  BTW, the freshest, best processed hops I've ever gotten.  Maybe the issue is your LHBS.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 12:10:37 pm »
sounds like it applies to those who get their hops from hopunion, not ALL sellers.

plenty of other places to buy from with no shortages ...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 12:13:46 pm »
Denny- they have website? All I see for Hop Heaven is ebay store...and that's mostly 2014 stuff.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline blatz

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 12:14:26 pm »
Denny- they have website? All I see for Hop Heaven is ebay store...and that's mostly 2014 stuff.

just buy from yakimavalleyhops.com...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 12:15:42 pm »

yep I do. I buy locally when I'm in need..and as you can see mostly hop union in stores closest to me.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline blatz

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 12:16:46 pm »
gotcha.  I hate my LHBS, and only buy pounds so them or Farmhouse suits me well :)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 12:17:43 pm »
great sellers-process and ship very fast.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 12:19:46 pm »
gotcha.  I hate my LHBS, and only buy pounds so them or Farmhouse suits me well :)

I love my LHBS - but not for hops.  I get almost all of mine from YVH and Farmhouse, too.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 02:47:32 pm »
I got the same email from Label Peelers. I've gotten great deals and service from them in the past. Sucks that they're getting shafted by this situation.

What sucks even more is that this major player in the hop business is apparently putting homebrewers on the back burner. I'm hoping that it's mainly because they just haven't gotten their stuff together because of the new merger. Thankfully their are enough sources of quality hops that I can vote with my dollar and boycott HopUnion until they set this straight.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 03:04:11 pm »

Thank you for posting this.  I did not know about that place, but I just ordered a pound of 2015 EKG, a pound of 2014 Styrian Goldings, and a half pound of 2015 Saaz.

I guess I need to buy that vacuum sealer now.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 03:26:30 pm »

Thank you for posting this.  I did not know about that place, but I just ordered a pound of 2015 EKG, a pound of 2014 Styrian Goldings, and a half pound of 2015 Saaz.

I guess I need to buy that vacuum sealer now.

Great retailer, in quality and selection.
Jon H.

Offline breslinp

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 04:33:58 pm »
I got the same email from Label Peelers. I've gotten great deals and service from them in the past. Sucks that they're getting shafted by this situation.

What sucks even more is that this major player in the hop business is apparently putting homebrewers on the back burner. I'm hoping that it's mainly because they just haven't gotten their stuff together because of the new merger. Thankfully their are enough sources of quality hops that I can vote with my dollar and boycott HopUnion until they set this straight.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Soon after I pre-ordered from Label Peelers (in October), a poster on reddit claimed that they took until mid-Jan to get hops out last year.  Seems he was correct.  Their price was still pretty good that I never cancelled my order. I have plenty of stock to ride it out. I'll probably use another supplier next year.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 04:52:18 pm »
I'm guessing that this is a label peelers disclaimer. I'm glad I didn't pre-order with them like I usually do. They are such a great store and top notch customer service. It's a shame that this unfortunate circumstance that is clearly out of their hands is going to tarnish it.

I ordered from Yakima valley this year because they had nice cyber Monday deals on 8 oz bag combo packs. Still the price was more than label peelers per ounce. When you catch them in their sales, you can not beat their prices anywhere! I didn't get my hops from them this year, but I did get 260 lb of grain on my last trip.
Frank

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 05:09:00 pm »
What sucks even more is that this major player in the hop business is apparently putting homebrewers on the back burner.

We're always the last to get hops because all but the 2-3 largest homebrew shops lack the purchasing power to move up the chain to have orders fulfilled. Wholesalers will always sell to their biggest clients first, which means breweries are getting their orders filled first. We're getting sold the least impressive lots of hops at unfavorable prices.

I know there is talk among the craft beer industry that there is a shortage (or a perceived shortage) and maybe this year's harvest wasn't great. Prices are apparently pretty bad right now if you can't buy under contract. I don't know if Hop Union was hit particularly hard in 2015 or if it's uniformly bad. Apparently even some of the more common varieties are completely sold out from the 2015 harvest.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing