Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2015 Hop crop  (Read 9324 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: 2015 Hop crop
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 04:01:31 pm »
I got the same email from Label Peelers. I've gotten great deals and service from them in the past. Sucks that they're getting shafted by this situation.

What sucks even more is that this major player in the hop business is apparently putting homebrewers on the back burner. I'm hoping that it's mainly because they just haven't gotten their stuff together because of the new merger. Thankfully their are enough sources of quality hops that I can vote with my dollar and boycott HopUnion until they set this straight.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm curious why you think this is necessarily the whole story. I've contacted the CEO of YCH Hops to get his side of things.  Hopefully Drew and I will present that in the podcast.
Thanks for that. I'm looking forward to hear what YCH has to say about this.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 06:56:14 pm »
Epic thread response from YVH.....I know where I will be buying my hops from for now on!
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 07:24:52 pm »
Ahhh yes, every 4-5 years "the sky is falling" and there will be no hops left for any of us . . . heh heh.

Fear not fellow brewers, there will always be hops. And if the PNW can't supply enough there IS a resurgence of hop fields popping up all across the Empire State!
"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2016, 07:27:43 pm »
Epic thread response from YVH.....I know where I will be buying my hops from for now on!
Plus they have pimp hophead apparel! I love my Citra hat and YVH hoodie.
Eric B.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2016, 07:36:00 pm »

Yeah, got one of their t-shirts. Pretty cool.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2016, 07:41:29 pm »

I have some koozies.

coastsidemike

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2016, 10:12:40 pm »

I have some koozies.

Appropriate, quality T-shirts for the ladies, that went over well from the NHC visit.  Just sayin'.  Koozies are a nice touch.

Regarding the hops, +1 for YVH.  They are not my desired yearly go-to supplier but a plan B, and I was surprised at all the variety and quality of hops I got from them.  Going to go dry-hop right now.  The hops I have on hand from them are really good and perfect for my needs.

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2016, 10:26:40 pm »
Finally just ordered my hops. I was planning to order in December and got distracted by the holidays and just realized I hadn't picked up anything.

I've been itching to brew my DIPA recipe again with this specific hop blend. Starting to get excited now.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2016, 09:03:16 am »
As I mentioned, I contacted a guy I know who's the CEO of YCH.  Drew and I will have more on next week's podcast, but here's a brief reply...."This has me baffled. We ship LD at the same rate we ship every brewer in the US, which is as soon as processed in the fall, so I'm not sure where this info is coming from. We ship LD their homebrewer inventory every week."
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2016, 09:41:52 am »
As I mentioned, I contacted a guy I know who's the CEO of YCH.  Drew and I will have more on next week's podcast, but here's a brief reply...."This has me baffled. We ship LD at the same rate we ship every brewer in the US, which is as soon as processed in the fall, so I'm not sure where this info is coming from. We ship LD their homebrewer inventory every week."

I'll bet on Label Peelers shooting out a salty email before knowing the full story. It's happened plenty of times before. I unsubscribed after their whole "we hate this company down in Florida that also sells wine kits" shenanigans. Pretty sure they're the reason WinExpert has minimum pricing on certain kits now.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2016, 11:09:22 am »
I'll bet on Label Peelers shooting out a salty email before knowing the full story. It's happened plenty of times before. I unsubscribed after their whole "we hate this company down in Florida that also sells wine kits" shenanigans. Pretty sure they're the reason WinExpert has minimum pricing on certain kits now.
Well I apparently jumped to conclusions earlier and ran my mouth prematurely. Mea culpa.

I did score on a wine kit from them LP last year when they were running a big sale before the minimum pricing went into effect. I didn't know the backstory.
Eric B.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2016, 12:06:03 pm »
I did score on a wine kit from them LP last year when they were running a big sale before the minimum pricing went into effect. I didn't know the backstory.

FWIW, that "OMG get cheap prices before the vendor implements minimum pricing, it's going to be sooo bad guys, really" sale was all a crock of crap. My pricing for WinExpert Eclipse was $138 during their 'last sale evah!!!'. Now (even with the minimum advertized pricing) I can buy it from LP at $140 w/ shipping anytime they have a 30% off sale, which is often. I used to think that LP was an awesome store until I saw their pattern of over-hyped sales, promising that this was the very last time you'd see these prices, only to see those prices from them 3 months later.  ::)
Amanda Burkemper

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2016, 07:17:28 pm »

FWIW, that "OMG get cheap prices before the vendor implements minimum pricing, it's going to be sooo bad guys, really" sale was all a crock of crap. My pricing for WinExpert Eclipse was $138 during their 'last sale evah!!!'. Now (even with the minimum advertized pricing) I can buy it from LP at $140 w/ shipping anytime they have a 30% off sale, which is often. I used to think that LP was an awesome store until I saw their pattern of over-hyped sales, promising that this was the very last time you'd see these prices, only to see those prices from them 3 months later.  ::)

I've never seen a "last time only" sale on products that I purchase. I know that they are going to have a quarterly-ish sale. I pretty much get grain only from them with potential yeast when I order. I live 45 minutes away, so I avoid shipping costs. I can't get prices within $15 a sack locally. I can't imagine prices if I shipped elsewhere. Frequent sales or not, you can't get better deals. How about we don't bash the LHBS's that many of us have access to so that we can continue to have access to them.

I think it's BS that people aren't getting their pre-order hops, but why would they put out this statement? I'm pretty sure that they didn't want to. They don't want to drive business away. LP had some of the largest hop sales in the Midwest last year. Obviously there is an underlying issue somewhere. And none of it makes any sense, but it certainly doesn't make sense for a small company to purposely drive away business.

By no means that this is an attack at Amanda. She's awesome. It's just my rebuttal. I feel abliged to defend my LHBS. It's my grain haven. I buy my hops from several sources and including Yakima Valley who offers a quality product.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 07:28:24 pm by fmader »
Frank

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2016, 07:24:25 pm »

By no means that this is an attack at Amanda. She's awesome. It's just my rebuttal. I feel abliged to defend my LHBS. It's my grain haven. I buy my hops from several sources and including Yakina Valley who offers a quality product.

I appreciate the level response. I only used to buy Eclipse kits there, so that is my only experience. (I buy bulk hops from YVH and bulk grain from my LHBS.)

I am pretty curious about the real story as well.

Edit: my actual ordering experiences with them were painless and usually cheap. My original comment pertained to their email correspondence. Wonder if I still have some of those or if I deleted them all.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 07:29:27 pm by AmandaK »
Amanda Burkemper

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2016, 07:35:38 pm »
Yeah. Makes little sense. LP is located within a couple miles of LD Carleson. This is a reason why they can maintain low prices. They make daily trips there and avoid shipping costs on their end. So why they can't get hops is a mystery to me.
Frank