Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I need a new hop(s)  (Read 5763 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: I need a new hop(s)
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 07:24:09 pm »
I'm a big fan of fruit-forward hops. I've been leaning towards a lot of the newer varieties, especially the Aus/NZ ones - primarily because I don't want my hoppy beers to taste like very other commercial beer out there. I also prefer hops that have one dominant flavor, so I can mix and match the specific flavors I want without getting too muddy. Here's my current favorites list:

Citra - oldie but goodie, pretty much straight-up mango, massive oil content and can easily dominate everything else if you're not careful

Meridian - totally underrated hop, lots of stone fruit (nectarine, apricot, sometimes bing cherry) with an undertone of citrus. It's a flavor I don't get in a lot of commercial beer, so I lean on it a lot at home.

Nelson Sauvin - I get a lot of white grapefruit out of it, with a bit of a vinous note that sets it apart from the C hops. It is reliably grapefruit-forward year after year, unlike something like Cascade that can be more floral some years

Motueka - lime zest and lemongrass. It's a shame that it's not more potent - it can easily get overpowered by oilier hops. But outside of IPA's it's a big go-to for me. Great in hoppy lagers as it is a Saaz derivative and gets some herbal/noble stuff going on as well. If you're a fan of Mandarina, I'd put this one in a similar category.

Vic Secret - this is a new discovery for me, but I'm already going to it regularly. It has a distinct passionfruit character that really stands out. This one is super tropical, without a lot of other background notes to muddy it up.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 07:31:11 pm »

SINGLE HOP ( I left out C hops as single hop beers since pretty much everybody has tried that)

1/ Azacca - Mango/peach, citrus. It's kind of medium assertive so it works really well in APA and IPA but doesn't beat you over the head. I like it in a single hop APA. Blends with any C hop really well.

2/ Galaxy - Pungent citrus and tropical fruit. Good in hoppy APA and IPA. Works solo, but blends with C hops well, as well as Simcoe and Nelson Sauvin IMO. More pungent than Azacca but a great hop.

3/ Equinox - Unique hop. Citrus/lime and fruity/tropical. Really intense, resiny in a good way. Works well solo, but I blended it separately with Columbus, Chinook and Simcoe. Liked all three.

BLENDS - I usually shoot to balance citrus, tropical/fruity, and pine/dank.

Galaxy/Simcoe - nice balance of citrus, fruit, pine

Lemon Drop/El Dorado -  Use 2-2.5 Lemon Drop: 1 El Dorado.  It's the combo in Stone Delicious IPA.

Amarillo/Simcoe - been done a lot but it's a great combo of citrus/orange and pungent pine.

Amarillo/Citra/Columbus - balance of citrus, tropical, and dank.

Citra/Centennial/Chinook - citrus, tropical, and pine.

Cascade/Centennial - old school, but good

Mt Hood with C hops - work well together.

Mt Hood/Liberty - really nice together. Better than the sum of their parts.

Nelson/Galaxy - Pungent fruit/citrus bomb.

Tip of the iceberg. I left out Mosaic because I know you're not a fan. I'll edit more when I think of them.
Really great post.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 07:40:18 pm »

I'm a big fan of fruit-forward hops. I've been leaning towards a lot of the newer varieties, especially the Aus/NZ ones - primarily because I don't want my hoppy beers to taste like very other commercial beer out there. I also prefer hops that have one dominant flavor, so I can mix and match the specific flavors I want without getting too muddy. Here's my current favorites list:

Citra - oldie but goodie, pretty much straight-up mango, massive oil content and can easily dominate everything else if you're not careful

Meridian - totally underrated hop, lots of stone fruit (nectarine, apricot, sometimes bing cherry) with an undertone of citrus. It's a flavor I don't get in a lot of commercial beer, so I lean on it a lot at home.

Nelson Sauvin - I get a lot of white grapefruit out of it, with a bit of a vinous note that sets it apart from the C hops. It is reliably grapefruit-forward year after year, unlike something like Cascade that can be more floral some years

Motueka - lime zest and lemongrass. It's a shame that it's not more potent - it can easily get overpowered by oilier hops. But outside of IPA's it's a big go-to for me. Great in hoppy lagers as it is a Saaz derivative and gets some herbal/noble stuff going on as well. If you're a fan of Mandarina, I'd put this one in a similar category.

Vic Secret - this is a new discovery for me, but I'm already going to it regularly. It has a distinct passionfruit character that really stands out. This one is super tropical, without a lot of other background notes to muddy it up.

Jon turned me on to Nelson with a saison recipe- really nice.

Vic secret- Victoria secret??'
Sound nice will add that one to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 07:51:10 pm »

Jon turned me on to Nelson with a saison recipe- really nice.

Sound nice will add that one to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used Nelson and meridian together in a moderately hopped Pilsner before. Very pleasant.

I don't brew very many duplicates when it comes to hopped beers. It's fun seeing these hops being posted and remembering how you've used them. Meridian is a very solid hop, but it can get buried when mixed with higher oil content hops like Citra and Equinox.
Frank

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 08:03:23 pm »

I believe it is grown in Victoria (Australia). I think the name was originally going to be Victoria Secret as a play on words, but there's probably some concern of trademark issues.
Eric B.

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 03:04:10 am »
I did a Jarrylo/Lemon Drop farmhouse hybrid thing in november. It's sitting on stewed quince right now, resulting in something which I can only describe as grapefruit-like. Slightly tangy, with a bitter kick.

Also now brewing a Citra/Sorachi Ace/Pekko farmhouse ale which smells delicious 3 days into primary. Pretty stoked about that one.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 11:51:04 am »
ended up with these from farmhouse:

Azacca - 1 Lb 2015 *NEW CROP*

1    $19.99    $19.99
EXP 6277 1Lb - 2015 *NEW CROP*

1    $19.99    $19.99
El Dorado - 1 Lb - 2015 *NEW CROP*

1    $22.99    $22.99
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 12:04:58 pm »
I don't brew very many duplicates when it comes to hopped beers.

I like to mix it up a lot, too. Sub in a new hop into an old combo.
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 09:07:52 am »

SINGLE HOP ( I left out C hops as single hop beers since pretty much everybody has tried that)

1/ Azacca - Mango/peach, citrus. It's kind of medium assertive so it works really well in APA and IPA but doesn't beat you over the head. I like it in a single hop APA. Blends with any C hop really well.

2/ Galaxy - Pungent citrus and tropical fruit. Good in hoppy APA and IPA. Works solo, but blends with C hops well, as well as Simcoe and Nelson Sauvin IMO. More pungent than Azacca but a great hop.

3/ Equinox - Unique hop. Citrus/lime and fruity/tropical. Really intense, resiny in a good way. Works well solo, but I blended it separately with Columbus, Chinook and Simcoe. Liked all three.

BLENDS - I usually shoot to balance citrus, tropical/fruity, and pine/dank.

Galaxy/Simcoe - nice balance of citrus, fruit, pine

Lemon Drop/El Dorado -  Use 2-2.5 Lemon Drop: 1 El Dorado.  It's the combo in Stone Delicious IPA.

Amarillo/Simcoe - been done a lot but it's a great combo of citrus/orange and pungent pine.

Amarillo/Citra/Columbus - balance of citrus, tropical, and dank.

Citra/Centennial/Chinook - citrus, tropical, and pine.

Cascade/Centennial - old school, but good

Mt Hood with C hops - work well together.

Mt Hood/Liberty - really nice together. Better than the sum of their parts.

Nelson/Galaxy - Pungent fruit/citrus bomb.

Tip of the iceberg. I left out Mosaic because I know you're not a fan. I'll edit more when I think of them.
This is a great post, thanks! I'm curious if there are other links out there that list similar agreed upon combinations that work well?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 09:14:16 am »
Not that I'm aware of. That's just trial and error on my part. Also within a given combo keep in mind that the ratios used make a big difference. This is definitely one of those things where you need to try it for yourself to see what you like. Descriptions of hops (even mine) are often fairly accurate but sometimes won't seem real accurate to your nose and palate at all. But you might like the result anyway. Just do some experimenting. It's fun!
Jon H.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 09:46:39 am »
Drew and I are about to start testing 4 new organic experimental varieties that are daughters of Centennial.  We'll let ya all know how it goes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 09:53:54 am »
That sounds great, Denny. I'll be looking for it . I still love Centennial, so any offshoot sounds good to me !
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 12:03:43 pm »
Drew and I are about to start testing 4 new organic experimental varieties that are daughters of Centennial.  We'll let ya all know how it goes.
Any relation to X-17?
Eric B.

BurghBeezer

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2016, 12:13:02 pm »

I can imagine some great hops coming from Centennial parentage.  Looking forward to it!

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2016, 08:13:44 pm »
My favorite IPA/DIPA combination is Mosaic/CTZ/Centennial

I use CTZ for bitterness and CTZ and Centennial for late boil flavor additions (15 or less). I adjust these depending on desired bitterness.

2/1/1 Mosaic/Centennial/CTZ at flameout (6oz for DIPA and 3 or 4 for single IPA)
2/1/1 Centennial/Mosaic/CTZ dry-hop (3 or 4 oz combined depending on IPA or DIPA)

The mosaic really shines through but with enough complexity from the CTZ and centennial to keep it from being one dimensional.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you