Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I need a new hop(s)  (Read 5756 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: I need a new hop(s)
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2016, 11:16:35 pm »
I have been very happy with my IPA schedule that I think I got here from @fmader: blend of amarillo,cents, Simcoe and Citra at fwh, 2oz Columbus @60, then the same blend from fwh at 20, 5, and dry. 1/2 Oz each in blend for fwh and 1oz each for the other additions. Turns into 16 Oz total for 5/5.5 gallons. All this is what I remember 2 bock and 2 double wood Balvenie' into the night. Fruity,dank, plenty of underlying bitterness. Works for me and yet I'm changing it up this weekend to experiment. YMMV
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 11:21:22 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2016, 03:37:39 am »
I have been very happy with my IPA schedule that I think I got here from @fmader: blend of amarillo,cents, Simcoe and Citra at fwh, 2oz Columbus @60, then the same blend from fwh at 20, 5, and dry. 1/2 Oz each in blend for fwh and 1oz each for the other additions. Turns into 16 Oz total for 5/5.5 gallons. All this is what I remember 2 bock and 2 double wood Balvenie' into the night. Fruity,dank, plenty of underlying bitterness. Works for me and yet I'm changing it up this weekend to experiment. YMMV

Yeah I think that was mine. It's funny how much I loved it, but since I've modified the schedule myself. Since I've kicked up the sulfates in the beers, I've dialed the Columbus at 60 back to an oz. No 20 minute addition anymore. If I do a late one it's at 10 minutes. I definetely do 0 minute and dry hop still. With that said, I'm still around a pound. I'm glad you're still carrying the torch!
Frank

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2016, 06:54:48 am »
There is an ale in my fridge I really like, made with HBC-438. This is the "Ron Mexico" hop. A single hop beer it has grapefruit and other fruits in the nose, some herbal and minty flavors, then there are a few flavors that we both go -"what is that?".

One of the parents was a neo-Mexicanus hop, so it is different.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2016, 09:03:40 am »
Drew and I are about to start testing 4 new organic experimental varieties that are daughters of Centennial.  We'll let ya all know how it goes.
Any relation to X-17?

Not that I know of, but they do come from Pat at the Hop House.  I'll know more when I pick them up next week.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2016, 02:36:54 am »
Citra/Centennial/Chinook - citrus, tropical, and pine.

Simcoe and Amarillo can't be found in Europe right now, so I would like to try the combination Citra/Centennial/Chinook. What would be a balanced ratio? I've only tried Chinook as FWH, and I'm a bit worried of its effects in the whirlpool and as dry hop...
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2016, 06:03:20 am »

Simcoe and Amarillo can't be found in Europe right now, so I would like to try the combination Citra/Centennial/Chinook. What would be a balanced ratio? I've only tried Chinook as FWH, and I'm a bit worried of its effects in the whirlpool and as dry hop...

.5 -.75 Citra: 1 Centennial : 1Chinook works pretty well. Citra sometimes seems a little assertive at first but after a week or two it integrates pretty well.
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2016, 06:17:21 am »

.5 -.75 Citra: 1 Centennial : 1Chinook works pretty well. Citra sometimes seems a little assertive at first but after a week or two it integrates pretty well.

Thanks, I'll try that.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.