Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Honey malt in an IPA?  (Read 11372 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Re: Honey malt in an IPA?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 06:02:59 pm »
I am going to try it as planned. I don't know how a beer can be too sweet with 95 IBUs.

Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 06:34:22 pm »
I am going to try it as planned. I don't know how a beer can be too sweet with 95 IBUs.
Well I disagree that a 95 ibu beer can't be too sweet but don't think this beer will be. It sounds pretty good to me.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 03:57:14 pm »
As Jon notes, just be careful with your amounts and definitely keep it under 5%. I would not use honey malt and munich together in anything that is supposed to be hoppy. They work together to make a sweet malty beer. If anything, I would go with pale base malt and a bit of honey malt in an IPA.

I've used it as low as 4% before and it was still too much for me. I think I'm going to try 2-3% next time. It's some potent stuff

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 03:59:37 pm »
I've used it as low as 4% before and it was still too much for me. I think I'm going to try 2-3% next time. It's some potent stuff

That's been my experience with it, too.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 04:11:28 pm »
Funny side note.  On a group grain buy, one club member bought, hopefully by accident, a sack of honey malt.  He was pushing that on us for years.  lol.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 04:16:28 pm »
Funny side note.  On a group grain buy, one club member bought, hopefully by accident, a sack of honey malt.  He was pushing that on us for years.  lol.

Wow, that would take a while to empty out. Lots of.....brown ales?   ;)
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 04:24:18 pm »
I believe he attempted a 50% honey malt batch one.  Aka drain-o...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 04:27:29 pm »
Wow. Sounds like arse.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 06:08:33 pm »
Sorry for the high jack,  but if limiting to about 5% or less in an IPA, whats the appropriate (?) % for a darker maltier beer such as a big American Brown ale?
Edit for poor typing skills
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 06:17:37 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 06:16:37 pm »
Sorry for the high jack,  but if limiting to about 5% or less in an IPA, whales the appropriate (?) % for a darker maltier beer such as a big American Brown ale?

You could use 4% in place of that amount of crystal. All kidding aside, it'd work well here. Especially in a Janet's Brown or Noti-type beer.
Jon H.

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 08:40:25 pm »
Definitely not a fan of honey malt in an IPA, but then again, I'm not a real fan of honey malt. It's one of those ingredients that I tend to pick up right away in most beers that have it. I find the flavor off putting.

I'm sure there's a way to sneak it past me, but at least with my friends beers and also with commercial beers known to have it, I just get turned off by the flavor.

Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 08:41:34 pm »
My standard IPA uses 2.5% Honey malt.  No other crystal malts.  It does add some sweetness, and it can get away from you in a hurry as you add more.  I like using it in small amounts to add a touch of color and a little sweetness. Basically use it all the time in hoppy beers.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 09:47:38 pm »
My highest scoring IPA in a comp has honey malt in it. I neither experience it as too sweet nor as requiring a terribly light hand. I've used the stuff a ton and always get more nuttiness with a subtle sweet character, despite the beers drying out as expected. I treat it just like I do crystal malt.

http://brulosophy.com/recipes/a-lil-slack-ipa/

That grain bill is somewhat similar to mine.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Ralph's Springtime IPA 2016
Brewer: Roger
Asst Brewer: Ralph The Wonderdog
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 8.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 97.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
8 lbs 8.0 oz          Brewer's Malt, 2-Row, Premium (Great Wes Grain         1        70.8 %       
3 lbs                 Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM)           Grain         2        25.0 %       
8.0 oz                Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)                    Grain         3        4.2 %         
1.00 oz               Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min        Hop           4        16.5 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           5        23.3 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min        Hop           6        12.1 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           7        17.1 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min         Hop           8        6.6 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           9        9.4 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Amarillo [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  30. Hop           10       5.1 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  30.0 Hop           11       7.2 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 m Yeast         12       -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2016, 09:08:36 am »
IIRC, I've used up to 10% honey malt w/o issues.  It's all about what else ya do to balance it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 09:34:31 am »
IIRC, I've used up to 10% honey malt w/o issues.  It's all about what else ya do to balance it.

Good point. I did a blonde ale with lime zest, lemongrass, and 7-8% honey malt and it was nice. I tried it again with a lot less honey malt and the other ingredients became overpowering...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale