Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pilsner malt in a stout  (Read 5382 times)

Offline wswagar

• 1st Kit
Pilsner malt in a stout
« on: December 30, 2015, 12:38:40 pm »
I inadvertently used some leftover Pilsner malt to brew 10 gallons of oatmeal stout yesterday. I know it is supposed to be for lagers but do you think it will work out?

grist bill: for 10 gallons

24 lbs pilsner malt (whoops!)
2   lbs flaked barley
1.5 lbs rolled oats
1.25 pounds chocolate malt
1.25 roasted barley
.5 lb black patent

here's the specs on the pilsner malt

Color (Lovibond)- 1.4-1.9
Moisture Max -     4.1%
Protein Total Max - 11
Extract CG Dry Min - 80.0

I know it's just homebrew and I should relax but curious if anybody else has made this mistake or even brewed a stout with pilsner malt on purpose?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Pilsner malt in a stout
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 12:45:51 pm »
It'll work fine, especially in a beer that roasty. You won't likely notice its character but it'll make a good beer.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 12:46:19 pm »
With all of the roast in a good oatmeal stout, I really don't think you will notice any issues.  Your beer may attenuate a bit more (most likely not noticeable though) and you may have a "cleaner" base malt profile, but besides that, I bet it will come out pretty tasty.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 12:47:07 pm »
With all of the roast in a good oatmeal stout, I really don't think you will notice any issues.  Your beer may attenuate a bit more (most likely not noticeable though) and you may have a "cleaner" base malt profile, but besides that, I bet it will come out pretty tasty.

Why would it attenuate more?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 12:53:52 pm »
Don't some pilsner malts have a higher diastatic power than other 2 row malts (i.e. Maris otter)?  Or am I just thinking out of my *ss?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 01:16:16 pm »
Don't some pilsner malts have a higher diastatic power than other 2 row malts (i.e. Maris otter)?  Or am I just thinking out of my *ss?

It's more like some pale malts, like MO, have a slightly lower DP than pils or other pale malts.  But not enough that you'd ever notice it, especially in a stout.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 01:51:48 pm »
You may be confusing attenuation with conversion. Diastatic power controls conversion, but if you're doing a standard 60 minute single infusion mash, either 2-row or Pils will have plenty of DP to get the job done. More won't get the job donner .
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:19:16 pm by tesgüino »

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 02:15:34 pm »
Good call.

Offline Bklmt2000

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 08:01:26 pm »
Pilsner malt is perfectly fine in an oatmeal stout.  The main base malt in my brewery is Weyermann Pils, and I've made many stouts with it over the years.

I'm drinking a Foreign Extra Stout right now where Pils malt was the main grain (along with some flaked barley and 1 lb of roasted barley), and it's quite tasty.

Just an opinion.

Offline wswagar

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 02:24:04 pm »
thanks for all of the replies, I bottled this last night and as usual I always taste a small sample as part of my routine. It tasted delicious, full bodied and roasty. Looking forward to trying it after it's done bottle conditioning.