Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: rice hulls  (Read 3386 times)

Offline aaspinall

• Cellarman
rice hulls
« on: January 12, 2016, 06:43:03 pm »
I'm planning on brewing a weizenbock that has a total grain bill of 16lbs, and 4 lbs of that is red wheat malt. Trying to avoid a stuck sparge, I'm using rice hulls. What's the amount of the rice hulls should I use, and do I include that in my calculation of strike water volume?

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: rice hulls
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 07:22:02 pm »
I go with 1 oz hulls per pound of huskless adjunct/malt. In your case, 4 oz would be plenty. BUT, I also weight that against the amount of barley malt I'm using. In your case, you have a scant 4 pounds huskless to 12 pounds husked. I would probably skip the hulls altogether if it were me, and because I'm familiar with my system.

Edit: stuped speling :D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 09:33:10 am by stpug »

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 08:34:42 am »
I go with 1 oz hulls per pound of huskless adjust/malt. In your case, 4 oz would be plenty. BUT, I also weight that against the amount of barley malt I'm using. In your case, you have a scant 4 pounds huskless to 12 pounds husked. I would probably skip the hulls altogether if it were me, and because I'm familiar with my system.

I actually double that amount.  I would use 1/2 lb. of rice hulls in my system.  I mash in a 10 gallon Blichmann Boilermaker with the Blichmann false bottom.  I also don't account for any additional water because the rice hulls make up such a small percentage of the overall grist.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 08:38:15 am »
And if you soak the hulls in water overnight you don't have to account for any extra water at all. They'll be saturated by that point.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 09:50:44 am »
If you have a good lautering system you won't need any at all.  I never have.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 09:55:30 am »
at some point i realized I didn't need them either- and stopped using them also.....even on 60-65% wheat grist.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 10:01:11 am »
I used them a couple times, on a wit and a hefe, thinking 'I'd better or I'll get a stuck sparge'. Didn't with the hulls, but I never got stuck without the hulls since, either. 
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 10:12:12 am »
I used them a couple times, on a wit and a hefe, thinking 'I'd better or I'll get a stuck sparge'. Didn't with the hulls, but I never got stuck without the hulls since, either.

think that's how many of us ended up using them....read that we had too or trouble with stuck sparge. somewhere I said "let's see what happens without it".
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 10:14:50 am »

think that's how many of us ended up using them....read that we had too or trouble with stuck sparge. somewhere I said "let's see what happens without it".

Yep. I followed the conventional wisdom back then as gospel. Shouldn't have. Now I'm all about trying things differently.
Jon H.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 12:32:51 pm »
I don't use them and haven't had issues with wheat in the grain bill (often use up to 33%). 

That being said I have considered using rice hulls when making Denny's Rye IPA recipe.  It gets solidly stuck once in a while when I make it.  It's on deck for Monday so I'll see what happens this time.   ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 07:09:49 am »
I've had a couple of issues with stuck/slow recirculation and sparging.  Mostly with wheat, and rye in the grist.  Maybe I recirculate to quickly, but for me rice hulls are cheap insurance against the headache of stopping the process, stirring everything up, and getting everything going again.

To each his own, I guess.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 07:11:23 am »
They're solidly in the "cheap insurance" category for me. No downside to using them (that I know of), inexpensive, easy to use. Probably rarely, if ever, necessary, though.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 05:01:42 am »
I agree with the cheap insurance statement, but if you run off a bit more slowly than wide open, you will likely have no problem with a stuck sparge (the only stuck sparge said were high adjunct beers that I drained so quickly with a pump that it compacted the grain bed.)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 05:41:13 am »
The only downside is you can't use your grains for spent grain flour

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 01:40:12 pm »
I only seem to need them with using a false bottom. Didn't use them for years, except for a few times before using a false bottom and again now using a false bottom. To each their own, I use them to save me the headache if I don't.