Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stir Plates  (Read 2958 times)

RPIScotty

Re: Stir Plates
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 05:53:48 am »

I use the stir plate to oxygenate the wort for an hour or two...then I shut it down and add the yeast...I might shake a few times if I'm in the room...
I am not convinced that a stir plate adds oxygen by swirling wort.

I'm not either after some of Mark's posts. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 09:47:37 am »
I use the stir plate to oxygenate the wort for an hour or two...then I shut it down and add the yeast...I might shake a few times if I'm in the room...
I am not convinced that a stir plate adds oxygen by swirling wort.

I'm pretty much convinced it doesn't.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 10:07:05 am »
Danger, vortex partial pressure debate ahead...

They do a great job of mixing agar powder into hot wort.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 10:17:42 am »
That little tornado really impresses the grandkids though...So...I'm pretty sure it does O2inate the wort...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

RPIScotty

Stir Plates
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 11:03:31 am »
That little tornado really impresses the grandkids though...So...I'm pretty sure it does O2inate the wort...

Even if it does (which I don't think it does) it can only reach air saturation anyway. Shaking takes less equipment and time to do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 03:24:42 pm »
I am one.  After using a stir plate for years, I've found I get equal or better yeast performance without one.  And it's just one more thing I don't have to deal with now.

Question for you, since you're the most experienced brewer I know for the yeast named after you. What sort of attenuation do you normally see from a 1st Gen pitch of 1450? I wasn't thinking and did a shaken not stirred starter for the first time with too many other new variables. Not only did I do shaken method for the 1st time, this was the first time using 1450. The beer had a SG of 1.087 and is an imperial stout. It got down to 1.025. All in all I'm happy, just trying to evaluate if the attenuation I saw is in line for this strain of yeast for a first pitch from a smack pack.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you