Author Topic: repitching lager yeast slurry  (Read 2111 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
repitching lager yeast slurry
« on: January 14, 2016, 06:44:01 PM »
Providing that proper sanitation is up to par, how many lager yeast generations can one repitch as slurry from the primary? 4? 6?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: repitching lager yeast slurry
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 07:06:56 PM »
Only you know that....it just depends.  But I'd say 4 is easily doable.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 07:27:12 PM »
Only you know that....it just depends.  But I'd say 4 is easily doable.

+1.  I generally stop at 5, if I get that high which isn't often.  not because I've experienced anything bad happen, but I know that I'm getting near the 'edge' and its time to start up anew. 

keep in mind you can branch off your slurry to extend the generations.  i.e. brew a batch of helles, of which you use some but not all of the slurry in a marzen the next brew and use the remainder the next weekend in a Vienna, and so on.

pros that I have spoken with often repitch 15-20 times before repitching, but their conditions are different than most homebrewers.

TheProfessor I believe uses an ale strain that's been repitched for decades.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline atodd

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 09:06:48 PM »
I am in my third generation of Wyeast 2124 and it is performing well.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewer
  • Palermo, Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 09:35:09 PM »
I've not gone beyond 5 re-pitches but have not had any issues with that number.
BJCP Certified

Offline brewinhard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 01:50:51 PM »
I figured it was probably between 4 and 6 at best. I will only go out to four on this one with WY 2308 as it is in its second generation and performing well for me. Thank you all!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • View Profile
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 02:03:24 PM »
repitching slurry 4-5 times?   after that are you rebuilding from small sample in starter, or getting new pouch of the yeast?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 04:58:46 PM »
I've re-pitched up to 7 times with no ill effects.  I try to perform a good wash to minimize the trub and dead cells.  If it's been longer than a couple of months, I'll build a hefty starter and then transfer it at high Krausen to a new vessel to finish out.   
Dave Zach

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 05:16:27 PM »
I've re-pitched up to 7 times with no ill effects.  I try to perform a good wash to minimize the trub and dead cells.  If it's been longer than a couple of months, I'll build a hefty starter and then transfer it at high Krausen to a new vessel to finish out.

Have you tried not "washing"? (What you're probably doing is "rinsing").  I have found no advantage to it at all and have stopped doing it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 06:01:17 PM »
repitching slurry 4-5 times?   after that are you rebuilding from small sample in starter, or getting new pouch of the yeast?

Yes, literally repitching 1-2 day old saved slurry from primary to next batch primary. After that, I will stop using that strain and try a new strain with a new pouch and start all over. I usually don't brew the same "style" of beer in succession like this, but I am currently on a lager run with the colder temps making it easier to chill the wort down. 

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 06:09:41 PM »

Have you tried not "washing"? (What you're probably doing is "rinsing").  I have found no advantage to it at all and have stopped doing it.

Denny, Mr. Semantics.  I find I get pretty good separation and it's become part of my process which works quite well.  I'm happy with the results so if it ain't broke....
Dave Zach

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 06:25:50 PM »
Denny, Mr. Semantics.  I find I get pretty good separation and it's become part of my process which works quite well.  I'm happy with the results so if it ain't broke....

Oh, I understand that!  But laziness always drives me to understand if something is really necessary and really produces better results.

www.dennybrew.com

RPIScotty

repitching lager yeast slurry
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 06:41:28 PM »

Oh, I understand that!  But laziness always drives me to understand if something is really necessary and really produces better results.

Laziness is a virtue when used correctly Denny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 10:37:31 PM »

Can I get an AMEN!
Dave Zach

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 02:23:28 PM »

It's not "laziness", it's "conservation of energy".