Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 Spring Swap  (Read 14057 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 2016 Spring Swap
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2016, 05:21:25 pm »
Eh, I'll be honest, I'm not going to make a challenge beer. I don't have time to brew what I want let alone learning how to make an extract recipe. I'm not  real excited about receiving anybody else's either. It very well could just be me, but this idea is a turn off.

In addition... Brewing on the stove is about the funniest thing I've ever heard lol. My wife loves homebrews. My wife loves the kitchen. My wife does not love homebrews being brewed in the kitchen haha.
Frank

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2016, 05:32:48 pm »

Eh, I'll be honest, I'm not going to make a challenge beer. I don't have time to brew what I want let alone learning how to make an extract recipe. I'm not  real excited about receiving anybody else's either. It very well could just be me, but this idea is a turn off.

In addition... Brewing on the stove is about the funniest thing I've ever heard lol. My wife loves homebrews. My wife loves the kitchen. My wife does not love homebrews being brewed in the kitchen haha.

I'm with you ^^^^

While this is an interesting idea, I would rather save the time I do get to brew for something that I want to brew
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2016, 05:42:13 pm »
I wish I had extra time to brew a challenge beer as well. 

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2016, 05:49:19 pm »
It's an extract beer.  It's not like it will take 8 hours to brew.

I may throw it in with my planned Monday brew session. 
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2016, 06:03:38 pm »
Im not opposed to input, after all i asked for thoughts. But, Its only for people who want to do it. And, generally speaking, I would not worry about getting stiffed by receiving one. 3 beers is the suggested minimum so there's no complaints of only getting two... most people send very generous offerings. And I have no doubt that most people get the biggest thrill from what they send, not what they receive. Having said that, I would not be surprised if the challenge beer I receive is as good or better than any of my "pride" beers. We have some amazing brewers in this group. In any event, its you guy's swap too. If you want to skip the challenge beer idea, thats no harm no foul to me.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2016, 06:19:03 pm »
Im not opposed to input, after all i asked for thoughts. But, Its only for people who want to do it. And, generally speaking, I would not worry about getting stiffed by receiving one. 3 beers is the suggested minimum so there's no complaints of only getting two... most people send very generous offerings. And I have no doubt that most people get the biggest thrill from what they send, not what they receive. Having said that, I would not be surprised if the challenge beer I receive is as good or better than any of my "pride" beers. We have some amazing brewers in this group. In any event, its you guy's swap too. If you want to skip the challenge beer idea, thats no harm no foul to me.

Don't get me wrong. The whole thrill of me sending my beers and local beers is pretty much what has me intrigued. I'll probably end up shipping a 12 pack. But that's the thing. I want to send "my beers." I'm not knocking extract beers, but I have no idea where to begin lol. I made 5 extract kits four years ago. I never drank them, because they weren't what I wanted in a beer, so I switched to all-grain. I actually just dumped two and a half cases of them last summer lol.

That's just my two cents. I'm still in regardless, but I won't be doing a challenge beer.
Frank

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2016, 06:28:40 pm »

Don't get me wrong. The whole thrill of me sending my beers and local beers is pretty much what has me intrigued. I'll probably end up shipping a 12 pack. But that's the thing. I want to send "my beers." I'm not knocking extract beers, but I have no idea where to begin lol. I made 5 extract kits four years ago. I never drank them, because they weren't what I wanted in a beer, so I switched to all-grain. I actually just dumped two and a half cases of them last summer lol.

That's just my two cents. I'm still in regardless, but I won't be doing a challenge beer.
It's all good! I get it. You might be the smart one. This is just a side thing, optional and just for kicks.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2016, 06:46:17 pm »
When you say 3lbs DME must be used, is that a minimum?  Or is it no more, no less.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2016, 06:51:17 pm »
When you say 3lbs DME must be used, is that a minimum?  Or is it no more, no less.
No more no less. Thats about 1.050 in a 2.5 gallon batch. Figured people could adjust gravity by volume. Or sugar, or both...

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2016, 06:54:48 pm »
I'm in. May or may not be in for the challenge beer idea, depending on fermenter space.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2016, 06:57:28 pm »
No more no less. Thats about 1.050 in a 2.5 gallon batch. Figured people could adjust gravity by volume. Or sugar, or both...

That's what I figured.  Just put my recipe together.  Targeting 3 gallons.  Fun.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2016, 07:06:36 pm »
Sweet! Everyone keep in mind that there's no ban on tomfoolery or shenanigans or thinking outside the box. Its just for fun...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2016, 07:46:01 pm »
I'm on the fence on the challenge idea. Brewing time is going to be tight for me in the next few months, and if I'm going to spend the time on a batch I want a little more free reign.

I like the idea of a restrictive ingredient list, but this seems a little too small to get creative. Since Cascade and Centennial are kind of similar, maybe change one of them to a noble or English variety? And maybe open up the yeast selection to any dry yeast instead of just two choices. I think that would still fit the low-tech theme, but allow for a bit more creativity.

Again, I like the idea of the challenge. I'll try to squeeze it in if I can, but I'd probably be more inspired if there was just a little more choice in hops and/or yeast.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2016, 10:39:28 pm »
I've been toying with the idea of doing a challenge beer for one of the 3 beers. Maybe make it suggested and voluntary so no one feels like they have to do it or not join the swap.

2016 Spring Swap Challenge Beer
Ingredients limits
3lbs DME must be used (any kind or color)
Not more than 8oz of any steeping grain may be used but not required
Not more than 8oz sugar (any kind) may be used but not required
Hops may be Cascade, Centennial, or Magnum, or any combo of the 3, used any way you want in any amounts
Yeast may be US04 or US05

Equipment and process limits
Stove top with no pumps, chillers, or filters
Thermometer, hydrometer, and spoons are allowed
Electronic fermentation temp controls not allowed
No post boil fining allowed
Must be bottle conditioned

What do you guys think?

I am not allowed to brew in the house.  lol

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2016, 06:21:45 am »
I like this kind of challenge. I often cook dinner based on what needs to be used up and find it to be fun and creative. It actually sparks my creativity more than having unlimited access to ingredients. We will really have to get on the ball though as far as getting this brewed.
Question: is the 3# dme assuming a certain batch size?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.