Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 Spring Swap  (Read 14061 times)

RPIScotty

Re: 2016 Spring Swap
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2016, 06:26:29 am »
If you talk about "it", they will come......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2016, 08:49:14 am »
Nice !  I'll be curious to see where your FG ends up with the combo of extract and amylase. I need to source a bottle of 'It' for my next brew.  ;)

Briess Pilsen extract can finish pretty low on its own.

I went the English ale route on my challenge beer.  I'll take a gravity reading this weekend and start planning to bottle it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2016, 08:56:24 am »

Oh yeah. I use it for small batch hop trials. Just curious to see the FG difference the amylase brings.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2016, 09:35:22 am »

Oh yeah. I use it for small batch hop trials. Just curious to see the FG difference the amylase brings.
I prefer the Briess Pilsen DME myself, too. I just happened to see the amylase on the shelf at my LHBS (they sell lots of flaked corn and amylase by the pound for some reason, hmm...) and figured I'd give it a try. Plus the Munich LME isn't quite as fermentable as the Pilsen DME and I want to make sure this attenuates well.

I've been doing more extract brews lately, and if this let's me control attenuation better I might add it to my toolkit. I might run some FFTs on some small batches to see if it really makes a quantifiable difference with various extracts.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2016, 04:54:18 am »
I prefer the Briess Pilsen DME myself, too. I just happened to see the amylase on the shelf at my LHBS (they sell lots of flaked corn and amylase by the pound for some reason, hmm...) and figured I'd give it a try. Plus the Munich LME isn't quite as fermentable as the Pilsen DME and I want to make sure this attenuates well.

I've been doing more extract brews lately, and if this let's me control attenuation better I might add it to my toolkit. I might run some FFTs on some small batches to see if it really makes a quantifiable difference with various extracts.

Please tell me I'm not the only one whose first thought is "Fast Fourier Transform" whenever I see FFT...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

RPIScotty

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2016, 05:18:43 am »

Please tell me I'm not the only one whose first thought is "Fast Fourier Transform" whenever I see FFT...

When you graduate you'll forget all that stuff.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2016, 06:14:01 am »
For Further Transport

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2016, 06:44:36 am »

When you graduate you'll forget all that stuff.

Actually that's one of the next classes I'll be taking. Haven't used them in school yet, just use them every day at work.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2016, 08:13:20 am »

For me I always think of Final Fantasy Tactics...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2016, 11:55:50 am »
Gonna pick up the ingredients today for the challenge beer - I will stick with the original format and I think I may shoot for an American Strong Ale - that will also fit the next club cup competition (if it turns out good, it will be fun to hear the groans about it being an extract brew!). Plus the bottle conditioning will justfy filling some bombers...rather than taking up a keg
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2016, 01:47:12 pm »
I need a volunteer to run with this.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2016, 07:37:02 pm »
I don't even have time to bottle and keg. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2016, 08:25:02 am »
I don't even have time to bottle and keg. Sorry.
Similar situation here. Between the OT and night shifts at work, and all my son's afterschool activities right now (who starts a Sunday indoor soccer league during the NFL playoffs??? It couldn't wait until February?), I'm lucky if I can even get my one beer ready for NHC. Sorry.
Eric B.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2016, 10:06:59 am »
Lost my Dad to leukemia today. If the chaos settles down in time, I'll try to organize the swap. Otherwise, if someone wants to step up and run it that would be great

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2016, 10:13:07 am »
Lost my Dad to leukemia today. If the chaos settles down in time, I'll try to organize the swap. Otherwise, if someone wants to step up and run it that would be great

So sorry for your loss, Jim.
Frank