Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: need some direction  (Read 2560 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: need some direction
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2016, 08:13:39 am »
Read Palmer, read this forum, and bomb this forum with questions. Believe me, I have done that until they told me to shut up and brew the d*mn beer.  Which I did in the end, and it was d*mn good.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
need some direction
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2016, 09:53:25 am »
Skip the book and read this forum everyday for 6 mos. you'll know the basics and be on the cutting edge of various topics (yeast pitch rates, experimental brewing techniques, etc). Things won't come in a nice order as from a book but you will get al the knowledge.
As valuable as this forum is, I think reading "How to Brew" will give you a great foundation to start from, as long as you understand that no single source of brewing knowledge is gospel. There are many paths to good beer, and some brewing knowledge becomes outdated after time. Read the book, and then use sources like this forum to keep yourself updated, get new ideas, and also to help figure out what works for you specifically.
I have to admit I have read Palmer and other books. Palmer is one of the best if not the best.  I use books as reference material. I've never read them cover to cover, just look up the info I am wanting that day.  Though, I have probably read the entire Palmer book twice or more overtime.

I do think the reinforcement through this or other forums is a great tool. I have learned a ton here. Here I learn things I don't know to look up. In other words I learn from other people's questions.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 01:25:30 pm »
I do think the reinforcement through this or other forums is a great tool. I have learned a ton here. Here I learn things I don't know to look up. In other words I learn from other people's questions.

I agree. The book is a great place to start, but things get addressed here through questions that you hadn't thought to ask.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 06:05:47 am »
You have to know what type of learner you are. Some thrive on reading every scrap of info they can get their hands on so they feel they know as much as they can and that gives them the confidence to move on. OTOH, I read Palmer before going all grain and some parts, like water chemistry kind of froze me for awhile until I just did it. I suggest reading Palmer cover to cover without any expectation that you will understand everything then start brewing using Palmer more as a reference book, re reading the parts you need to actually brew. Once you get a few batches under your belt questions and areas of interest will naturally arise and you will go down your own path.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 11:30:54 am »
Read the books, ask questions in the forums, join a homebrew club and sit in on brew sessions with other club members.  Taste their beers and just keep asking questions.
HTH-
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge