Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Roeselare Blend + Flanders Red dregs Sourdough starter  (Read 1400 times)

Offline jahkasm

• 1st Kit
Roeselare Blend + Flanders Red dregs Sourdough starter
« on: January 08, 2016, 09:05:03 pm »
Tried making a sourdough starter with my son using peels from organic apples, but it turned into vinegar.  Am making a new batch of Flanders Red (to blend with some stuff in a fermenter that is mostly a year old and a little bit that's 2-1/2 years old), and was pitching a pack of Roeselare Blend after the new batch had fermented out. Struck me that the combination of S. cerevisiae, Brett, and souring bacteria seems an awful lot like what you want to colonize a sourdough starter, so ... added a few mls out of the smackpack to a couple of tablespoons of flour, a pinch of sugar and a little water to get a starter going.  Got pretty foamy pretty quickly and smelled just yeasty for a few days, but started smelling more sour today.  Added the dregs from a bottle of Flanders Red (tasty!) to it tonight.  The starter is nice and spongy, and smells great - will make some bread later in the week.  Just wondering if anyone out there has used any of the souring blends (or just Brett or just bacteria) to make a sourdough starter and how it turned out...

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Roeselare Blend + Flanders Red dregs Sourdough starter
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 11:07:50 pm »
A sour dough starter can take months, what I have found is not what you want or get. It is what nature gives you. What you get I say embrace and work with it. You can bend it with recipes and most of all enjoy the ride, never the less you will get the best that will challenge you to make the BEST.

The same with beer, it is all the same.

Best of Luck!
Never forget to
Share you results