Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How Many Habaneros?  (Read 7030 times)

Offline lindak

• Cellarman
Re: How Many Habaneros?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 07:25:12 am »
In the summer, we rim a glass with salt, add ice, add the juice of a lime, add a few slices of hab and top with lager.  It tends to be very hot-- too hot for most folks.  It's great.  I would think that level of heat would translate into 6-10 peppers for a 5 gallon batch.  I would probably soak them in vodka and dump it in before bottling/kegging. 

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 09:04:42 am »
15 peppers how many gallons? And how spicy would you say that is?

That's for 6 gal, and it's definitely piquant. I also will eat the 10/10 at the Thai place and ask for a side of sauce.

At most Thai restaurants you have to order maximum heat to get any decent level of heat and chile flavor. I remember once ordering food at maximum heat and asking to make it the way the owners would eat it. I ended up having to add extra ground chile by the tablespoon. It gets the heat but loses the flavor of sauteing the peppers in the wok. Makes it hard to want to eat Thai food outside of my own kitchen but OTOH I don't have easy access to jellyfish or softshell crabs to cook at home.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 11:54:00 am »
At my most recent trip to a new local Asian Fusion restaurant, I ordered pad Thai and asked for a 6-8 level of spiciness, not knowing the place. The waitress looked at me in amazement and said she had only tried it at a 2 level and that was too hot. I caved and ordered a 6, and you guessed it, not enough heat. Luckily she did serve it with a side of chile sauce to pump it up as I felt appropriate.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)