Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: About to keg  (Read 1692 times)

Offline jeeyeop

• Cellarman
About to keg
« on: January 18, 2016, 01:39:39 pm »
So I finally got my kegging system from AIH and had a few final questions before I make a go at it:

1. http://www.homebrewing.org/Taprite-T-Knob-Dual-Gauge-Regulator_p_5876.html
here's the regulator I'm using, can anyone explain what that keychain thing is on the northeast of the knob? the manual uses a different gauge in the pictures and this isn't included.

2. So I keep the CO2 tank closed and the valve on the reg closed (as shown in the link) before connecting everything. I'm also supposed to be turning the knob counter clockwise all the way (it gets looser not tighter, supposed to right?). Just wondering, if I turned the knob clockwise completely open, are there any safety concerns for once I open the valve? (explosion, etc)

3. I also bought keg lube, is it sanitary for me to just apply it by hand? How do you guys apply it to the rings? And do you apply it to all O-rings?

4. Does attaching the beer line while carbonating affect the rate of carbonation?

5. Any last minute tips for a first timer with compressed gas and kegging in general?

Thanks! Hope my scotch ale turns out alright, although I'll be carbing at room temp til I get a keezer.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: About to keg
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 01:58:26 pm »

So I finally got my kegging system from AIH and had a few final questions before I make a go at it:

1. http://www.homebrewing.org/Taprite-T-Knob-Dual-Gauge-Regulator_p_5876.html
here's the regulator I'm using, can anyone explain what that keychain thing is on the northeast of the knob? the manual uses a different gauge in the pictures and this isn't included.

I think that is a pressure relief valve. Mine doesn't have that so it is just a guess.

2. So I keep the CO2 tank closed and the valve on the reg closed (as shown in the link) before connecting everything. I'm also supposed to be turning the knob counter clockwise all the way (it gets looser not tighter, supposed to right?). Just wondering, if I turned the knob clockwise completely open, are there any safety concerns for once I open the valve? (explosion, etc)

If the pressure gets too high there are safety valves to bleed it off automatically. It won't blow up.

Turn pressure to zero before connecting lines. Then increase pressure to the desired value.

3. I also bought keg lube, is it sanitary for me to just apply it by hand? How do you guys apply it to the rings? And do you apply it to all O-rings?
I dip my hands in my Starsan bucket rinse them around a bit and then apply keg lube.

4. Does attaching the beer line while carbonating affect the rate of carbonation?

You should leave the gas line connected while carbonating. The beer will absorb co2 while carbonating. The gas line is the source of the co2.

5. Any last minute tips for a first timer with compressed gas and kegging in general?

Carb in the fridge at serving pressure (11 PSI). Give it 10 days. Try a pint or two along the way to gauge the progress and relieve your impatience (I'm impatient).

Thanks! Hope my scotch ale turns out alright, although I'll be carbing at room temp til I get a keezer.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 02:03:38 pm »
I didn't see the bit about carbing at room temp. So ignore my advice about the fridge and 11PSI. You'll be closer to 30 PSI.

Offline jeeyeop

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 04:03:48 pm »
appreciate the help! just one more question, what;s the difference between a safety valve and a pressure relief valve, they seem to do similar things. Is one just automatic while the pressure relief tab needs to be pulled?

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 04:17:42 pm »

appreciate the help! just one more question, what;s the difference between a safety valve and a pressure relief valve, they seem to do similar things. Is one just automatic while the pressure relief tab needs to be pulled?
Yes.

Offline monkeymullins

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 01:27:26 am »
Jeeyeop - How'd the kegging go and carbing at room temperature? The reason I ask is I'm about to do the same thing with room temp being around 15-16c/59-60F. What PSI did you use? Mine will be a stout I have it sat with 30lb of pressure in it at the moment as I'm not looking to drink it till March.

Also any advice would be greatly welcome. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk