Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coconut  (Read 1926 times)

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
Coconut
« on: January 15, 2016, 06:51:32 pm »
I just tried a sample of a coconut chocolate stout I'm brewing that I pulled for a gravity reading. I've so far used a half pound of lightly toasted coconut at 15 in the boil and .75 lbs toasted coconut as a dry addition for 6 days now.

I'm not picking up any coconut. It's supposed to be an Almond Joy Stout, so I want the coconut to be obvious. Any ideas and experience on how to pack coconut flavor? Should I go with a coconut extract from the store. I was planning to add another 12 oz to a pound of toasted coconut for another week, but with no coconut flavor so far I don't want to just blindly add more if it doesn't get the desired flavor. This is my first time using coconut.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 07:06:37 pm by norcaljp »
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Coconut
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 09:35:19 am »
I've read about brewers using a bit of coconut rum for flavor.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 09:47:58 am »
I've read about brewers using a bit of coconut rum for flavor.
Which is probably just coconut extract + light rum. I'd just go with the extract and dose to taste.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
    • The Brewins
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 10:18:19 am »
Thanks...

So I had a lesson I thought I'd learned before really driven home last night. Palate's are a weird thing. I pulled a small sample to take to a friends house last night. Suddenly the coconut really shines through and is the dominant flavor. How I could have missed that when I tasted earlier just freaks me out a bit. In less than 2 hours I went from noticing no coconut at all to being able to pick it out no problem from samples pulled from the same fermenter.

I do think I'm going to add a bit more toasted coconut for another week.
Joel Prater

Offline mbbransc

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 01:45:47 pm »
I recently brewed an Almond Joy Stout that nearly had too much coconut.  I threw in 0.75# of toasted coconut at flameout and then 'dry-hopped' with 2# of toasted.   You could smell the coconut across the room when I started pouring it.  I used the 'loose' coconut in the large bins at my local Whole Foods.  I figured that coconut was fresher than the bagged stuff. 

* I also added 4oz cocoa powder at flameout and 5oz toasted almond slices in the dry hop. 

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 06:53:34 pm »
I made a coconut porter a couple of years ago with flaked coconut from an organic cooperative; I added it to the fermenter a week in, I believe (didn't think to toast any of it, though I will next time). The beer was delicious, though the coconut absorbed a lot of the wort, so it was a small batch made smaller. My one regret was not realizing how delicious the wort-soaked coconut would be. I had a couple of tastes before I chucked it, and wished I had asked friends over to have some of it over vanilla or chocolate ice cream.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
    • The Brewins
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 10:03:20 pm »
I made a coconut porter a couple of years ago with flaked coconut from an organic cooperative; I added it to the fermenter a week in, I believe (didn't think to toast any of it, though I will next time). The beer was delicious, though the coconut absorbed a lot of the wort, so it was a small batch made smaller. My one regret was not realizing how delicious the wort-soaked coconut would be. I had a couple of tastes before I chucked it, and wished I had asked friends over to have some of it over vanilla or chocolate ice cream.
Ohhh, good idea. I may bring some to snack on for our next bottle share night this weekend.
Joel Prater

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 03:31:46 pm »
glad you ended picking up on the coconut. IME, it doesn't take much and for very long before that coconut dominates. I use it in the keg for coco brown ale and a few days is all I need/want.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: