Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Input requested on homebrew club meetings and events  (Read 3265 times)

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
Input requested on homebrew club meetings and events
« on: October 23, 2016, 10:00:51 pm »
I posted last year looking for advice on a new club. I'm happy to say that we started our club in January of this year with 5 home brewers, have more than doubled the membership, and throughout the year have have had a great time with it.

I'm currently in the process of gathering a list of possible events/goals, things to do in meetings, etc... I'm polling the club membership for their ideas, and am also looking for outside input. I'm putting together a list of ideas for the club for the next year for us to improve the fun/value of our meetings, events, club benefits, and for what the larger goals we should have should be. I'll be bringing this list to next years board (which starts in December) and using it as a jumping off point to decide on the goals and direction of the club for 2017.

What one or two things have you enjoyed, found the most educational, or otherwise really liked with clubs you've participated in? It could be anything from field trips, club benefits, meeting topics, events, or anything else that you liked or found valuable.

Thanks in advance.
Joel
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 10:02:54 pm by norcaljp »
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Input requested on homebrew club meetings and events
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 07:16:10 am »
My club's group cider pressing is coming up at a nearby orchard. A fun day for all.

You can look at presentations from the NHC/HomebrewCon over the last few years. I remember several about clubs and activities. Search through Zymurgy also.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 07:36:28 am »
The club I am in enjoys everyone brewing the same or similar beers and then holding a contest with medals for 1st, 2nd, 3rd.  We have done this probably 15 times in the past 5 years and a lot of people really enjoy the friendly competition and chance to win some bragging rights.  Often times we also make this educational or experimental to learn what different ingredient, processes, yeasts etc. will do for us, so we can learn and hopefully become better brewers while enjoying the fruits of our labors.

Every year we also put our beers into multiple local brewfests and demonstrations.  This gets our name out there, educates the general public about how good beer can be made at home, and sometimes even earns us new members!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 09:17:17 am »
If your goal is to continue to grow the club then you may want to think about doing more visible events like a group brew day at a LHBS where potential new members are plentiful or group brewery tours because some pro brewers also homebrew and may be interested in joining.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 06:00:12 pm »
If your goal is to continue to grow the club then you may want to think about doing more visible events like a group brew day at a LHBS where potential new members are plentiful or group brewery tours because some pro brewers also homebrew and may be interested in joining.
+1
We are doing an event on "Learn to Homebrew Day" on November 5
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 06:36:16 am »
Great feedback, thanks.

I have been trying to plan a club brew day at the LHBS and hope to do it in the next few months. Our LHBS is small with only two employees so it can sometimes be difficult to find times that work for everyone.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you