Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Does Gelatin Clearing work without adding CO2  (Read 2354 times)

Offline wdbrewman

• 1st Kit
Does Gelatin Clearing work without adding CO2
« on: January 26, 2016, 02:45:01 pm »
I was curious if gelatin clearing will work on a fermenter and still be able to self carbonate in the bottle after gelatin clearing

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Does Gelatin Clearing work without adding CO2
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 02:59:17 pm »
Yes.  You can bottle condition just fine after using gelatin.

But I don't understand the part of your heading about adding CO2.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 04:01:45 pm »
Yes. Be careful not to get any of the settled gel into your bottling bucket. I use gel fining on almost every batch. I ferment extra beer just to make it easier to get my desired final volume without disturbing the sediment. If you suck up some setteled gel, its not the end of the world. It just doesnt re-settle very good. You may have floaties.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 04:20:47 pm »
I crash in keg to avoid suck back nowadays , then add gelatin. I don't have any trouble with sediment or floaties. I lose most of the first pint to the sediment, but it's crystal clear and floatie-free after.
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 04:37:43 pm »
I crash in keg to avoid suck back nowadays , then add gelatin. I don't have any trouble with sediment or floaties. I lose most of the first pint to the sediment, but it's crystal clear and floatie-free after.
+1, works really well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 07:24:07 pm »
But thats not bottle conditioning. I had one batch, gel fined in primary, accidentally disturbed primary while racking and sucked up just a little gelled sediment to bottling bucket. Every bottle had a tiny amount of tiny floating bits that would stay in suspension a long time. I cant say that is evidence enough to prove anything, but its what I attributed it to. I suspect that if there is spent gel present when you add sugar and referment, that the little gelatin globules aren't as willing to sink as easy. No idea why.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 09:53:08 pm »
Since I started gelatin fining, I have bottled 514 twelve oz. bottles. All have successfully carbonated. Also kegged 8 cornys with gas carbonation.  Have had NO "floaties".  I gelatin fine in the primary at <38* F.  I bottle and keg straight from the primary at lager temps. (30-35* F) and use "pump priming" for bottles.  https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=23215.msg296546#msg296546
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 05:23:38 am »
Since I started gelatin fining, I have bottled 514 twelve oz. bottles. All have successfully carbonated. Also kegged 8 cornys with gas carbonation.  Have had NO "floaties".  I gelatin fine in the primary at <38* F.  I bottle and keg straight from the primary at lager temps. (30-35* F) and use "pump priming" for bottles.  https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=23215.msg296546#msg296546
What type of primary vessel do you use with pump priming to avoid the bottling bucket?

-Tony

-Tony

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 05:37:46 am »
But thats not bottle conditioning.

Yep, my bad. I'm good for a brain fart now and then.
Jon H.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 10:07:25 am »
What type of primary vessel do you use with pump priming to avoid the bottling bucket?

-Tony

I use 6.5 gal. BigMouth PET carboys that I have installed drain valves with dip tubes.  I believe Northern Brewer has come out with that option since I made them.  It looks like you will have make the dip tube DIY.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/fermenting-equipment/big-mouth-bubbler
Also, I use silicone tube from the valve to the bottle wand.  Vinyl tube is too stiff when cold.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 07:22:26 pm »
Thank you for sharing.  I just started doing sours with my old/normal bucket and autosiphon, so I am in the market for a new bug free fermenter. A setup with valves might avoid the autosiphon purchase altogether.

-Tony

-Tony