Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brown inside shank  (Read 4992 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brown inside shank
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 08:40:44 pm »
They are not stainless. Price would be about $10 higher and it wouldn't have a welded tail piece.

The picture is of the faucet? Are your faucets stainless or chromed brass? How old is this gear?

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 08:41:43 pm »
I don't know if this helps but brass is not supposed to have much lead.  I don't know if beer, being more acidic than water, would leach out more water than lead.

"As of January 4, 2014, Federal Public Law 111-380 prohibits the sale of plumbing fixtures with a wetted surface area containing more than a weighted average of 0.25% lead. This law virtually eliminates the lead content of pipes, pipe fittings, plumbing fittings and fixtures intended to convey or dispense water for drinking or cooking."

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 07:25:55 am »
They are not stainless. Price would be about $10 higher and it wouldn't have a welded tail piece.

The picture is of the faucet? Are your faucets stainless or chromed brass? How old is this gear?
My faucets are Perlick 425SS and 525SS, so good to go there. It's my shanks that need replacing... I'm going to throw down for Micromatic here in a bit. I'm certain, now, that these shanks are chrome plated brass. Unfortunate. I'm sure they're fine, but I don't really want to f*ck around with this anymore. Stainless is the way to go.

Tommy, even if 0.25% lead is in there, I'm not a fan of that. Thanks for posting that. I imagine almost every bar we get beer is serving from cheaper sh*t like this. So, it's probably a non-issue. But either way, I don't care for it.
Jesse

Offline millstone

• Cellarman
  • Cedar Lake IN
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 09:28:08 am »
Looking at Beverage Factory, they are showing an all SS with fitted tail piece just like the plated type.
All SS Contact 4 1/8" Long Shank with Nipple Assembly - 3/16" I.D. Bore Model:SHANK4-ASC ($20.95)

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/faucets/stainless-steel-shanks/KCSHANK4-ASC.shtml

Tom

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 09:43:09 am »
Looking at Beverage Factory, they are showing an all SS with fitted tail piece just like the plated type.
All SS Contact 4 1/8" Long Shank with Nipple Assembly - 3/16" I.D. Bore Model:SHANK4-ASC ($20.95)

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/faucets/stainless-steel-shanks/KCSHANK4-ASC.shtml

Tom
Yes, they say "all SS contact", but that still bothers me. They're still chrome plated on the outside, which may be fine, I guess. Just wanting more assurance I guess.
Jesse

Offline Stevie

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 09:54:38 am »

Tom
Never seen those. The all SS contact shouldn't be a concern. The parts that aren't stainless are likely the nut and faucet collar. No big deal there.

Offline millstone

• Cellarman
  • Cedar Lake IN
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 09:59:03 am »
I sent Customer Service - Sales at the Beverage Factory a question on the makeup of this product, once I receive a return message I'll post it.

Tom

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 10:01:47 am »
I've got Beverage Factory shanks, so far so good.

That being said, the disconnects I've had problems with came from them, and I also ended up with a new keg from them that had a rusty dip tube. Customer service kept giving me the runaround, ended up just buying a new dip tube.

YMMV. My kegerator was bought from them, and it works like a charm, I just associate some risk with buying their products.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 10:32:09 am »
I sent Customer Service - Sales at the Beverage Factory a question on the makeup of this product, once I receive a return message I'll post it.

Tom

Thanks, I would appreciate that.
Jesse

Offline millstone

• Cellarman
  • Cedar Lake IN
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 12:25:45 pm »
Finally got a response today. This from Erika at Beverage Factory

For the item you are asking about "SHANK4-ASC”, it is all stainless steel, the shank and tail piece.

I also asked if it was possible to order just the shank without all the other parts, mine seem all fine, she answered with “We only have the shank with all the other parts included”.
Hope this helps you out. I got a great deal from them about 4 years ago, plated shanks with 525SS perlick’s for a combo price of $25, could not pass it up. So if I have to swap out the shanks for $21 each, I believe that's still is under what the faucet alone was going for.

Tom

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 01:54:26 pm »
Thanks for posting. I still might shell out for Micromatics though.
Jesse