Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tired of the slow heat and soot, time for a new burner.  (Read 4287 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Tired of the slow heat and soot, time for a new burner.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 02:04:22 pm »
I have the bayou classic and love it. You can turn it very low or very high. Not only can I get a blue flame but it can actually get clear sometimes so you have to hear it and feel the heat to know its on. The bottom of my kettle doesn't have even a smidge of black.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 05:30:12 pm »
Bite the bullet and get the Blichmann. It will be the last burner you will need, and it will be cheaper than buying two or three cheaper ones. And like duboman said, it burns super hot and clean, no soot. I find that it doesn't burn any more propane than my old Bayou SQ14.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 08:00:34 pm »
That's a cool idea for a base.

If you have a large kettle I would consider widening the base to make sure it doesn't get tippy on you.  Maybe replace the 1' pieces on the bottom with 2' pieces?  Each corner would extend out 1' (ish) outside the base to give it more support side to side.

I tend to over build though, so it probably isn't necessary.  I knew a brewer who dumped 5 gal of boiling wort over on himself and am very leery about that type of thing.  It took several years for him to heal.

Paul
It would be easy to add support to the bottom.  I have an 8 gal kettle and it sits inside the top corners of the burner.  It's rock solid.  I may try to figure out something for the top like blichmann and endemetal use to hug the bottom edges of the kettle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 09:43:27 pm »
After 8 years with a Bayou Classic SQ14, I am upgrading to a blichmann. I considered others, but I find the blichmann to have more items in the pros column.

The SQ14 was great, just want something a little more efficient.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 05:33:08 am »
That's a cool idea for a base.

If you have a large kettle I would consider widening the base to make sure it doesn't get tippy on you.  Maybe replace the 1' pieces on the bottom with 2' pieces?  Each corner would extend out 1' (ish) outside the base to give it more support side to side.

I tend to over build though, so it probably isn't necessary.  I knew a brewer who dumped 5 gal of boiling wort over on himself and am very leery about that type of thing.  It took several years for him to heal.

Paul
It would be easy to add support to the bottom.  I have an 8 gal kettle and it sits inside the top corners of the burner.  It's rock solid.  I may try to figure out something for the top like blichmann and endemetal use to hug the bottom edges of the kettle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm glad to hear you've considered the risks.  I'd hate to have not mentioned it and then hear somethngbad happened.

No good, or at least easily described, ideas on the ring.  I'm sure you'll come up with a good solution.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 09:36:09 am »
Duboman, Frank and Steve,

OK, I bit the bullet and ordered the Blichmann.  Cry once.

I'm hoping it will give a stable enough very low flame to put a little heat into my BIAB mash if needed.  It seemed that the Blichmann would be most likely to do that.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 02:24:47 pm »
There's no crying in home brewing;) I'm sure you'll be happy with the purchase

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 06:47:00 am »
There's no crying in home brewing;) I'm sure you'll be happy with the purchase

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Yes, you won't regret it.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline lindak

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2016, 10:52:48 pm »
Duboman, Frank and Steve,

OK, I bit the bullet and ordered the Blichmann.  Cry once.

I'm hoping it will give a stable enough very low flame to put a little heat into my BIAB mash if needed.  It seemed that the Blichmann would be most likely to do that.

I use a 15 gal kettle on my Blichmann burner for BIAB.  It was pretty cold here last week and after 25 minutes I had to get the mash temp up a couple of degrees. I fired the burner up to a low flame, which quickly got it back to my target.  No scorching or issues with the bag.  You won't regret the purchase!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2016, 05:01:50 am »
My burner on my 1 bbl system has no damper to adjust the air mix ratio. I have to use the height of the burner to do that. By lowering the height of the burner I have gotten rid of the soot and increased boil times.