Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Porter on nitro?  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Porter on nitro?
« on: January 21, 2016, 09:01:00 am »
Many sources recommend  less priming sugar for carbonating porters which produces less CO2 bubbles in the brew as contrasted to the extreme amount of bubbles commonly found in porter on nitro.

I've often wondered why porter is the style most commonly kegged with nitro when less carbonation is suggested when one is carbonating it?

In my home brewing, I prefer a higher level of CO2 at about 2.8 than usually recommended, and greatly prefer that to brewpub offerings on nitro.

Do you prefer porter on nitro or standard carbonation?

Comments please and thank you for your input.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Re: Porter on nitro?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 09:58:14 am »
Nitro stouts/porters aren't really heavily carbonated. It's the combination of a restrictor stout faucet knocking out carbonation, the Nitro portion of the beer gas making the head last longer, and serving at higher (~25psi) pressure that causes the awesome head.

I bought a stout faucet some months back and love it. I know it's a bit controversial - many would consider it an unnecessary expense and it may dampen aroma a bit but I personally love the texture of a nitro pour and love the aesthetics of the cascade.

It's no hand pumped real ale but I still like it better for UK styles than C02 kegged.