Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why does my final beer taste so yeasty  (Read 3881 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Why does my final beer taste so yeasty
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 03:40:21 pm »
yea when I open then there is quite an "explosive" amount of carbonation, I followed the directions given and it said to use 3 tablespoons of honey mixed with a 1/4 of water then mix that with the beer and then bottle it. And i'm currently looking for a sihpon
A problem with kits is that the directions are either not very good or assume a certain amount of knowledge. I think you would benefit greatly from reading a book, such ad Palmer's" How to Brew" the mistakes you made many others would too if all they did was read the directions that came with the kit.
Do you have a hydrometer?  Having that and an auto siphon and reading about fermentation temps and aeration prior to pitching yeast are your next steps. And clean and sanitize your equipment thoroughly.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 03:40:30 pm »
yea when I open then there is quite an "explosive" amount of carbonation, I followed the directions given and it said to use 3 tablespoons of honey mixed with a 1/4 of water then mix that with the beer and then bottle it. And i'm currently looking for a sihpon
You might also want to look for a safe place to put those bottles outside, reads like a recipe for bottle bombs.

Pick up a copy of The Complete Joy of Homebrewing or How to Brew or both and dive in! This forum is also a great resource. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 03:45:45 pm »
U haz yeast infection

150mg Diflucan Po x1 stat
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 03:54:39 pm »
You might also want to look for a safe place to put those bottles outside, reads like a recipe for bottle bombs.

Pick up a copy of The Complete Joy of Homebrewing or How to Brew or both and dive in! This forum is also a great resource.
Given that we don't know if gravity readings were taken at intervals near the end bottle bombs are possible but two weeks in the fermenter, 2 weeks in the bottle and not too much priming sugar and what appears to be an active fermentation based on the amount of yeast slurry there must have been makes it unlikely. Also probably would have happened by now. I think the copious amount of sediment is causing gushers.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 04:02:13 pm »
Have the bottles been stored warm or cool for the two weeks?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 04:06:44 pm »
New brewers, please do yourself a favor and read How To Brew before you try to wing it and brew. This isn't me trying to be overly critical - I remember the excitement of brewing the first time like it was yesterday. But you need to have the basics down in your head first. For starters you run the risk of creating bottle bombs which could badly injure you or your family. The second effect of bottle bombs is often your spouse or SO never wanting you to brew again. Read the book and ask any questions you have here. We'll help you do it the right way !
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 04:10:50 pm »
For a little batch, look for the mini auto siphons. I think you'll find your next beer to be night and day better. Good luck!
Jesse

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 04:15:24 pm »
New brewers, please do yourself a favor and read How To Brew before you try to wing it and brew. This isn't me trying to be overly critical - I remember the excitement of brewing the first time like it was yesterday. But you need to have the basics down in your head first. For starters you run the risk of creating bottle bombs which could badly injure you or your family. The second effect of bottle bombs is often your spouse or SO never wanting you to brew again. Read the book and ask any questions you have here. We'll help you do it the right way !
Even though I don't think we have bottle bombs here I do agree they are no joke. Kits should probably have warnings about them and I'm surprised that there haven't been lawsuits resulting in such.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 04:24:57 pm »
Even though I don't think we have bottle bombs here I do agree they are no joke. Kits should probably have warnings about them and I'm surprised that there haven't been lawsuits resulting in such.

Yeah, I don't necessarily think they're bottle bombs either. But reading the story was kinda scary. Pretty easily could've been.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 04:39:42 pm »
U haz yeast infection

No doubt. Might even need a round of Caspofungin IV...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 04:43:41 pm »
But seriously, get the bottles cold. It could be over carbonation, but it could also be partly from the yeast in suspension creating a lot of nucleation points for CO2 bubbles to form. Chilling the beers will help the yeast settle out and will also slow the carbonation process significantly.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 04:44:50 pm »
U haz yeast infection

Its really the technical pharmacist humour that makes this forum though...

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 04:58:27 pm »

U haz yeast infection

Call me old fashioned...but I prefer terazol 0.4% for 7 days intravaginally

You know, just attack the source
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 05:30:37 pm »
This is getting worse than when we got our URL messed up with the American Hemorrhoid Association.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 05:32:48 pm »
Yeah.   :o
Jon H.