Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spring brews  (Read 4067 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Spring brews
« on: January 21, 2016, 09:13:13 pm »
I know we are along way off from spring at least in upstate NY but I was just curious to what everyone has scheduled to brew in the spring(Late march to May). I am back to school so my winter brewing is done once I finish up my Altbier. I just wanted to see what type of beers you guys brew during this time of year, I plan on fitting in a couple before my summer internship. I was thinking a Roggenbier, a Blonde Ale, and a Hefeweizen. Prost!
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Spring brews
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 09:40:57 pm »
After a couple more lagers I need to stock up on pale ale while knocking out an Experimental Brewing Igor brew. Once solidly into spring it will be saisons and summer means sour beers.

Offline gspot

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 10:19:57 pm »
Here's my plan for the year. Obviously I won't be able to brew all this, but it makes picking out a recipe easier. I usually brew once or twice a month. Next up is a Maibock followed by an Irish red for St Patty's Day.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 06:06:57 am »
Here's my plan for the year. Obviously I won't be able to brew all this, but it makes picking out a recipe easier. I usually brew once or twice a month. Next up is a Maibock followed by an Irish red for St Patty's Day.

Now there is a man with a plan!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 06:33:33 am »
Now there is a man with a plan!

If you can call making a list of around 100 beers to brew and in practice brewing about 20 of them a plan  ;)
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 06:47:01 am »
I mean categorizing the beers by season for brewing and drinking - I am much more of a seat of the pants kinda planner when it comes to beer brewing.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 06:50:57 am »
I am much more of a seat of the pants kinda planner when it comes to beer brewing.

Same here. I like to brew on a whim - a lot of times I bought a beer in a pub or store and it really hit the spot, and by Sunday I'm brewing my take on it. I do love seasonal brewing too, though.
Jon H.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 06:56:02 am »
I have Festbier and a Honey Kolsch scheduled.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Ethan J

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 07:26:28 am »
After brewing for NHC (American amber ale and rye saison), I'll be focusing on nailing down a house IPA recipe that's coming pretty close now, but is still just off from where I want it. I like to keep a fairly regular rotation of beers going through the taps, so I'll tend to brew in a cycle, pale ale>IPA>amber ale>saison/farmhouse>porter or stout.

I'll be focusing more on sour/funky/wild beers this spring/summer as well, as I'm starting a small barrel project in the next few weeks.

Offline gspot

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 07:36:15 am »
Well, it's not really a plan per se. It's more like I'm handicapped in my ability to think long term. When trying to decide what to brew next, my first thought never is what would I like to be drinking in 1-3 months? My list sort of gets me through that. Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I just want to say I'm not suggesting that anyone brew according to season like I do. The OP asked for spring beer suggestions and I provide some. That's it. Nobody's trying to take away anyone's freedom to choose what to brew when.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 07:36:37 am »
I will also be banging out a few more lagers before the cold snap breaks.  After that, an Irish Red and ESB with the Thames Valley II yeast.  Maybe a big beer for aging using that yeast depending on its performance and characteristics (RIS?).  Then my late spring early summer schwills -- patersbier, kolsch, IPA, cream ale...yada yada.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 08:38:03 am »

Pretty cool chart. It keeps you thinking ahead. I have a similar chart that I use to help me decide what to brew: http://www.bullcityhomebrew.com/images/home_brewing_calendar.jpg

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 08:46:52 am »
Pretty cool chart. It keeps you thinking ahead. I have a similar chart that I use to help me decide what to brew: http://www.bullcityhomebrew.com/images/home_brewing_calendar.jpg

I don't understand the colors. What do they mean?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline gspot

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 08:50:37 am »

Bookmarked. Wish i had seen that when i was making my list.  My chart  is a compilation of stuff I found on the intertubes after being disappointed by Mosher's book A Beer For All Seasons.

Offline gspot

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 08:57:39 am »

I don't understand the colors. What do they mean?

Each color corresponds roughly to a season. Blue is winter, yellow, spring, etc.