Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Single Hop IPAs  (Read 2996 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Single Hop IPAs
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 09:12:09 pm »
Citra, Azacca, and Equinox make nice single hopped beers.

Yeah, and (sorry Frank !) I think Mosaic makes a great single hop IPA. Actually I make 'single late hop' beers occasionally but I bitter most of my beers with Magnum, Warrior, or Columbus. Just hate to waste a good late hop to bitter. Though I need to revise my thinking on lagers and bitter at least partially with the nobles.

Lol it's all good. I had a Southern Tier mosaic smash last week and checked it in on Untappd. I gave it 2.25 stars. My description was, "I hate Mosaic hops!" Southern Tier replied, "Sorry to here that. To each their own."

Like I love simcoe where some think it tastes like cat pee. Most love mosaic. I think mosaic tastes like a bail of straw with onions jammed in it and stored in a musty basement lol.

Sorry, I'm grumpy because I went to pour a pint of my new Porter, but my CO2 leaked out through the pressure relief valve (my best guess). So the Dude must abide... It's White Russians tonight.

Southern Tier isn't a brewery I'd make ultimate judgements on ingredients by in my opinion. I've had two of the worst ever beers from them (Pumpking and Creme Bru Le) that I actually poured out. Nasty. But I've had an IPA I thought was quite good. So hit or miss I wouldn't buy their beer again...

I'm not a real fan of southern tier either. This beer was in a mix a six at my local grocery store. But this is about the 10th commercial beer with mosaic that I don't like. When mosaic first came out, I bought two pounds. I brewed three batches with it. Hated it in my own beer. Gave the remaining 14 ounces away.
Frank

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 09:18:00 pm »
I'm curious what you didn't like about Mosaic hops.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 09:30:29 pm »
I'm curious what you didn't like about Mosaic hops.

It's my palette. Just like others don't like simcoe or summit or whatever. To me, as I explained above, it tastes like a bail of straw that's been stuffed with onions and then stored in a musty basement. I get nothing good out of it at all. I keep trying it, but it doesn't get any better for me. The only beer that I know has mosaic in it that I didn't mind was victory hop ranch. I believe it's mosaic and Azacca.

Buy by no means am I saying that anybody else shouldn't like it. Obviously people like it, since so many breweries are using it now. Jon just knows that I don't like mosaic, that's why he mentioned me. Time to get off my hatred for mosaic and get back to the OP's thread.

One of my first grain beers was a single hopped chinook beer. I remember loving it, but it was so long ago. It was also just right after I switched from extract 4 years ago. I might have to revisit that.
Frank

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 09:33:46 pm »
I gotcha. I felt the same way about Chinook, though I brewed a single hop strong ale trying to somewhat replicate Arrogant Bastard, and loved it. I guess I just didn't care for how it mixed with other hops or something.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 09:55:20 pm »
I'm still convinced people perceive some hops differently. Nobody would dislike what they perceive as a good hop. I think, like with the gene that makes people perceive cilantro as good or horribly plastic-y, it's a sensory/perception thing. Kind of interesting actually.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 10:37:34 pm »
I'm still convinced people perceive some hops differently. Nobody would dislike what they perceive as a good hop. I think, like with the gene that makes people perceive cilantro as good or horribly plastic-y, it's a sensory/perception thing. Kind of interesting actually.

It is interesting. I really want to taste sweet fruity blueberry
Frank

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 05:20:11 am »
Old school here - For single hopped IPAs, I'm gonna go with Chinook, Columbus, Cascade or Centennial. I like some of the newer and more exotic hops, but not by themselves.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

BurghBeezer

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 11:43:41 am »
Centennial probably my favorite solo hop, but Mosaic and Citra can be really good.  When Sam Adams had the Deconstructed Latitude 48 IPA single-hopped versions, I really liked the Hallertau Mittelfrueh and East Kent Golding ones the best.

There has to be a 'but' in this though that I feel any IPA could be improved by the addition of at least a second hop variety; even if just for dry-hopping.

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2016, 12:36:37 pm »
Probably the best single hop commercial APA I've had was Row 2 Hill 56 from Russian River. I was really surprised at how great it was for only using one hop. That one is all Simcoe. I haven't done Simcoe yet in a single hop, but it can clearly make an excellent beer when used correctly. I think I may need to try that for my next IPA.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 05:16:30 pm by norcaljp »
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2016, 04:15:08 pm »
Revolution in Chicago does a Galaxy and a Crystal version of their Hero series. Both are excellent. I'll add Amarillo, as one of the local brewpubs all time greats was an all Amarillo beer. That brewer moved to Oregon and things have never been the same.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.