Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spring brews  (Read 4045 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Spring brews
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2016, 03:58:18 pm »
I brewed a Helles Bock for competitions this spring, if it turns out as expected.  If not, I will still get plenty of use out of the 2206 yeast I used in it.  Love those malty Bavarian lagers.

I am sadly coming to the last couple of bottles of the helles bock I brewed last year.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2016, 04:43:44 pm »
I think I may really try for a Pivo-type Pils this spring. Spalt and Saphir are the stuff my dreams are made of. :D

Funny you mention that. I'm wanting to brew a Pivo-ish pils coming up soon. Man is that stuff crushable !
Oof, speaking of crushable... I have a triple berry hydromel (Curt Stock's recipe, with tweaks) on tap that is entirely too good. I've named it "Pound It!".

I had about 4 of the "I'll just top it up a little... Oh just a bit more... One more little sip..." last night. Whoops!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2016, 04:51:30 pm »
I think I may really try for a Pivo-type Pils this spring. Spalt and Saphir are the stuff my dreams are made of. :D

Funny you mention that. I'm wanting to brew a Pivo-ish pils coming up soon. Man is that stuff crushable !
Oof, speaking of crushable... I have a triple berry hydromel (Curt Stock's recipe, with tweaks) on tap that is entirely too good. I've named it "Pound It!".

I had about 4 of the "I'll just top it up a little... Oh just a bit more... One more little sip..." last night. Whoops!

Sounds awesome !  Fortunately/unfortunately I have a pretty crushable cider on tap now too. Lots of tartness, with a kiss of sweetness. Dangerous.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 04:54:00 pm »

Ha!  That is a classic way to describe a pending hangover.  Hope you felt okay today... ;)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2016, 06:24:19 pm »

Sounds awesome !  Fortunately/unfortunately I have a pretty crushable cider on tap now too. Lots of tartness, with a kiss of sweetness. Dangerous.

This is drinking season no doubt.  My cider just got its carb on.  Dangerous tonight.  Got 7 inches on the ground looking out.  Finally kegged 15g of Saison last night.  Been holding in secondary for a month.  All my Kolsch is going  be gone.   Cider is dangerous!

I'm going to brew IPA IV, Imperial Stout, and Kolsch 021 #2 in Feb.  Lagers in March, something malty I'm sure.  I've really been liking 2000.  April I'm going to do some testing and sharing here on old materials.  Everyone always asks about grain age.  I have 3 sacks that are 3 years old.  They have been climate controlled, in container.  I've never done a side by side and old.  Doing it this spring, I have 5lb of frozen Amarillo, Simcoe, Belma, Centennial, and Willamette too.  I really need a test size for indoor pilot.     
Jeff B

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2016, 06:37:30 pm »
In February/March, I have planned an Irish Red, a stout, and then an APA. In May/early June, it will be a Hefeweizen, Spruce Ale (with new buds), and a wit--three beers for summer's heat. I do keep the seasons in mind to a degree in terms of what I like to drink and what the weather makes easier to brew.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2016, 07:08:33 pm »
This is drinking season no doubt.  My cider just got its carb on.  Dangerous tonight.  Got 7 inches on the ground looking out.  Finally kegged 15g of Saison last night.  Been holding in secondary for a month.  All my Kolsch is going  be gone.   Cider is dangerous!

I'm going to brew IPA IV, Imperial Stout, and Kolsch 021 #2 in Feb.  Lagers in March, something malty I'm sure.  I've really been liking 2000.  April I'm going to do some testing and sharing here on old materials.  Everyone always asks about grain age.  I have 3 sacks that are 3 years old.  They have been climate controlled, in container.  I've never done a side by side and old.  Doing it this spring, I have 5lb of frozen Amarillo, Simcoe, Belma, Centennial, and Willamette too.  I really need a test size for indoor pilot.     

Sweet ! Nice plan you have there.
Jon H.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2016, 09:53:19 am »
In February/March, I have planned an Irish Red, a stout, and then an APA. In May/early June, it will be a Hefeweizen, Spruce Ale (with new buds), and a wit--three beers for summer's heat. I do keep the seasons in mind to a degree in terms of what I like to drink and what the weather makes easier to brew.

Me too. I keep a list of the next 10 or 12 beers I want to brew and decide as I go along in the year what to brew in any given month.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2016, 02:12:28 pm »
I currently am on about a 4 brew cycle.  Work out recipes for the next four brews, order ingredients, brew and repeat.