Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New blog  (Read 2286 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
New blog
« on: January 22, 2016, 10:28:20 am »
YCH Hops has asked me to blog for them.  Here's the first one...http://ychhops.com/connect/news/blog/top-10-tips-for-brew-day
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: New blog
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 10:34:09 am »
Blog... blog blog blog. The things people say nowadays...

Cool, thanks for sharing.
Jesse

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 03:56:05 pm »
I look forward to more.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 04:01:36 pm »
Cool. I'll be following it too, Denny.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 04:13:08 pm »
I have no idea how often they want me to do it, but I'll post when there's a new one.  Any suggestions for topics?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 04:25:17 pm »
There are probably a lot of non-forum readers who'd like to hear feedback about new hop varieties, techniques, etc.

Edit - It'd be hard to go wrong with one of your killer recipes, though.     ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:03:35 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 04:52:28 pm »
I think the story/process behind your recipes would be a good read; how you developed the recipe, along the way what didn't you keep and why, how many iterations to get it right, etc.

For me, a single blog entry per notable recipe would be nice. I'll let you decide which are your "notable" recipes. I know you have a lot of them out there.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 09:48:05 am »
I think the story/process behind your recipes would be a good read; how you developed the recipe, along the way what didn't you keep and why, how many iterations to get it right, etc.

For me, a single blog entry per notable recipe would be nice. I'll let you decide which are your "notable" recipes. I know you have a lot of them out there.

This gets my vote.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 11:22:58 am »
Interesting idea, guys!  I've detailed the thought process behind my Bourbon Vanilla Imperial porter both in BYO and Experimental Homebrewing.  Maybe something like that for other recipes.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

New blog
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 11:29:14 am »
Dumb question but what does "Noti" in Noti Brown Ale mean? Drew says "no tie brown" on the experimental podcast. I always thought it would be said like people say "notti" when shortening Nottingham.

Is the name a rebellious statement against neck ties? Or something else. Just curious.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 11:39:06 am »
Dumb question but what does "Noti" in Noti Brown Ale mean? Drew says "no tie brown" on the experimental podcast. I always thought it would be said like people say "notti" when shortening Nottingham.

Is the name a rebellious statement against neck ties? Or something else. Just curious.

Noti (pronounced "no-tie") is the name of the nearest town to where I live.  Bar, gas station, church, post office in the back of the gas station.  I'm told it's a Native American name, but I really don't know.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 11:42:21 am »

Noti (pronounced "no-tie") is the name of the nearest town to where I live.  Bar, gas station, church, post office in the back of the gas station.  I'm told it's a Native American name, but I really don't know.

"Noti was what a Native American once exclaimed in frustration with a white man. The white man had not tied up a horse as the native wanted him to during a trip up the Siuslaw River valley, but rather continued on riding the horse to Eugene." (Wikipedia)
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 12:58:37 pm »
"Noti was what a Native American once exclaimed in frustration with a white man. The white man had not tied up a horse as the native wanted him to during a trip up the Siuslaw River valley, but rather continued on riding the horse to Eugene." (Wikipedia)

Yeah, that's the local legend, which is totally without substantiation.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 01:08:23 pm »

This totally gets my vote as well. Loved the article and enjoying the podcast too. Keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 03:31:37 pm »
Nice blog. Something on your favourites might be fun - favourite hop and why, favourite yeast and why, how to get the best out of each etc.  etc.

Also best beer you've ever made. I'd love to see more people post their all-time top recipe or maybe top beer of the year. Perhaps that would work better as a forum thread than a blog though.