Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Getting The Hoppy Into The IPA  (Read 3032 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Getting The Hoppy Into The IPA
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 08:51:05 am »
I think that the difference is that these guys are whirlpooling at very high temp for an extended period (20-30 mins?),

I don't buy 'no IBUs' either. There are IBU that calculate from whirlpooling - I just don't think you perceive them to speak of @ 170F. I think temp is the x factor here. At higher temps the bitterness extracted is very noticeable.
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 10:55:57 am »
I'm with you guys. 70+ IBU of Columbus or Chinook (sometimes Warrior) @ 60, then whirlpool and dry to your heart's content to get that backbone.

Speaking of backbone, in the Hop Fu recipe there's a FWH addition of Chinook, then Warriot bittering hops @60 and then Columbus @30. Would that really create a noticeably more complex or more equilibrated backbone?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 11:23:38 am »
I'm with you guys. 70+ IBU of Columbus or Chinook (sometimes Warrior) @ 60, then whirlpool and dry to your heart's content to get that backbone.

Speaking of backbone, in the Hop Fu recipe there's a FWH addition of Chinook, then Warriot bittering hops @60 and then Columbus @30. Would that really create a noticeably more complex or more equilibrated backbone?

IMO, yes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2016, 12:35:01 pm »

IMO, yes.
I agree. I almost always have a solid addition at 20-30 minutes.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 10:45:06 am »
I take a different approach. I add all my target IBUs in the boil @ 60 mins. Then I take all the late (20-0min) additions and add them instead in the whirlpool @ 175-170F for 20-40 mins, then dry hop as usual. IMO you get a lot better, more intense flavor and aroma, while still hitting your target IBU.

This +1
Jeff B