Author Topic: Single Hop IPAs  (Read 1469 times)

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Single Hop IPAs
« on: January 22, 2016, 11:29:45 PM »
Were you to make a single hop IPA which hop would you gravitate to and why?

For most of my hoppy beers (40 IBU+) I generally use a few types, but when I've made a single hop IPA I've gone with Centennial as I love that taste, but also because it's cheaper among the various hops that are higher AA.

I also really love Amarillo and Simcoe, as well as HBC 342 which I use as the sole hop in a hoppy pale. I love Cascade too, but it just doesn't have enough AAs for a single hop IPA.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Single Hop IPAs
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 11:42:52 PM »
Citra, Azacca, and Equinox make nice single hopped beers.
Frank

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 11:54:52 PM »
Equinox is a new great hop I have been digging lately too.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 11:59:27 PM »

Yeah, and (sorry Frank !) I think Mosaic makes a great single hop IPA. Actually I make 'single late hop' beers occasionally but I bitter most of my beers with Magnum, Warrior, or Columbus. Just hate to waste a good late hop to bitter. Though I need to revise my thinking on lagers and bitter at least partially with the nobles.
Jon H.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 12:01:52 AM »
Centennial is my all-time, undisputed, single-hop favorite.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 12:04:38 AM »

Still a GREAT hop, period !
Jon H.

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 12:06:27 AM »
I usually use Warrior (1/2 oz) for bittering, though single hop is typically just that, but I discount the bittering hop as I'm not sure I'd be able to tell what it was I used. But then I've also not tested this either...

Mosaic is a hop I've been meaning to use in a single hop beer. I don't recall the IPA by that name but I loved it!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 12:07:11 AM »
Though I need to revise my thinking on lagers and bitter at least partially with the nobles.

+11
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 12:15:20 AM »

Yeah, and (sorry Frank !) I think Mosaic makes a great single hop IPA. Actually I make 'single late hop' beers occasionally but I bitter most of my beers with Magnum, Warrior, or Columbus. Just hate to waste a good late hop to bitter. Though I need to revise my thinking on lagers and bitter at least partially with the nobles.

Lol it's all good. I had a Southern Tier mosaic smash last week and checked it in on Untappd. I gave it 2.25 stars. My description was, "I hate Mosaic hops!" Southern Tier replied, "Sorry to here that. To each their own."

Like I love simcoe where some think it tastes like cat pee. Most love mosaic. I think mosaic tastes like a bail of straw with onions jammed in it and stored in a musty basement lol.

Sorry, I'm grumpy because I went to pour a pint of my new Porter, but my CO2 leaked out through the pressure relief valve (my best guess). So the Dude must abide... It's White Russians tonight.
Frank

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 01:29:36 AM »
Nothing wrong with a good Caucasian, Frank :)

I'm not a big fan of single-hopped IPA's - I prefer a little more complexity. Having said that, I'd put Meridian, Galaxy and Enigma on my short list if I had to brew one. Nelson Sauvin might be a good choice as well. Nelson might be something to look in to if you were thinking of doing a single-hopped Cascade IPA. I get a lot of the same grapefruit character from Nelson that I do from Cascade, but it is more potent and also has a nice vinous character that adds some depth.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 01:36:08 AM »
After thinking for a minute. Full Pint Brewery out of Pittsburgh brews Night of the Living Stout in the fall. It's a 100 IBU beer brewed exclusively with cascade. It's a different direction, but it's really good. Don't ask me how they get 100 IBU out of cascade either lol
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 01:45:31 AM »
Nothing wrong with a good Caucasian, Frank :)

I'm not a big fan of single-hopped IPA's - I prefer a little more complexity. Having said that, I'd put Meridian, Galaxy and Enigma on my short list if I had to brew one. Nelson Sauvin might be a good choice as well. Nelson might be something to look in to if you were thinking of doing a single-hopped Cascade IPA. I get a lot of the same grapefruit character from Nelson that I do from Cascade, but it is more potent and also has a nice vinous character that adds some depth.

I'd add Galaxy, too. Really want to try Enigma soon. I usually blend though, too.
Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
  • South Shore Brew Club, SE Massachusetts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 01:45:47 AM »

Still a GREAT hop, period !

+3

Hard to beat that simple yet elegant balance that you get with a Two Hearted-esque, single-hopped (Centennial) IPA!
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • View Profile
    • The Brewins
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 03:12:34 AM »

I'm with you on the Mosaic. It's a great hop.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 04:03:51 AM »

Lol it's all good. I had a Southern Tier mosaic smash last week and checked it in on Untappd. I gave it 2.25 stars. My description was, "I hate Mosaic hops!" Southern Tier replied, "Sorry to here that. To each their own."

Like I love simcoe where some think it tastes like cat pee. Most love mosaic. I think mosaic tastes like a bail of straw with onions jammed in it and stored in a musty basement lol.

Sorry, I'm grumpy because I went to pour a pint of my new Porter, but my CO2 leaked out through the pressure relief valve (my best guess). So the Dude must abide... It's White Russians tonight.

Southern Tier isn't a brewery I'd make ultimate judgements on ingredients by in my opinion. I've had two of the worst ever beers from them (Pumpking and Creme Bru Le) that I actually poured out. Nasty. But I've had an IPA I thought was quite good. So hit or miss I wouldn't buy their beer again...