Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White Labs Yeast Vault  (Read 5572 times)

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
Re: White Labs Yeast Vault
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 11:38:09 am »
No need to wait for WLP033.  Wyeast 1768 is coming out in January.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 03:36:55 pm »
Wyeast 1768 and WLP033 are two different isolates much in the same way that Wyeast 1056 and WLP001 are two different isolates.

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2015, 04:02:32 pm »
Wyeast 1768 and WLP033 are two different isolates much in the same way that Wyeast 1056 and WLP001 are two different isolates.

Do you find a noticeable difference in their performance?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 05:12:34 pm »
Doesn't the specific pack that I buy become an isolate as soon as I bring it home and use it?

Offline homebrew212

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 12:49:54 am »
Come on people...who wants to make some malty lagers with WLP835 German Lager X and some funky stuff with some WLP640 Brett Anomalus I? Give these strains a chance and join up!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2015, 08:08:59 am »
Doesn't the specific pack that I buy become an isolate as soon as I bring it home and use it?

No, the culture becomes the offspring of an isolate.  An isolate is the result of plating a culture for single colonies, and then selecting a colony (a.k.a. colony-forming unit) for transfer to slant or propagation. Plating for singles will often produce cultures with slightly different performance characteristics due to the fact that strains will often produces cells with slight genomic and/or phenomic variations over time.   For example, W-34/70 and W-34/78 are isolates from strain number 34.

If one examines the plate in the photo shown below closely, one will see a few well-isolated near-perfectly round colonies in the lower right-hand quadrant. These colonies are all the offspring of a single yeast cell; hence, they are isolates.

Often, multiple colony-forming units (CFUs) will be selected for transfer to slant.  The slants will then be used to propagate cultures, which, in turn, are used to test fermentation performance.  The isolate that performs best is selected for use in real-world brewing.  The other isolates are held in reserve or discarded.

Let me give you a real-world use of isolation when working with a single-strain culture.  Let's say that we like a yeast strain's flavor, but we want to see if we can alter how it flocculates.  We do so by cropping early, plating for singles, testing the isolates, and brewing with the most favorable isolate.  We can repeat this process several times to see if the flocculation performance improves.  Conversely, we can push flocculation in the other direction by cropping late and performing the same isolation process. 

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2015, 09:36:43 am »

1056 and 001 are considered close enough to use interchangeably, wouldn't 1768 and 033 also be close enough?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2015, 10:46:06 am »
1056 and 001 are considered close enough to use interchangeably, wouldn't 1768 and 033 also be close enough?

Sierra Nevada "Chico," Wyeast 1056, and WLP001 share the same ancestry; however, the strains do not have identical fermentation profiles.   Cultured Sierra Nevada is noticeably more flocculent.

There is little doubt in my mind that WLP033 was isolated from BrewTek CL-170.  I believe that Wyeast 1768 may have also been isolated from BrewTek CL-170, but it may have been isolated from a bottle conditioned beer or a culture taken from the Ram Brewery.  CL-170 or the isolate that is closest in performance to CL-170 is the culture to own.  Drew seems to believe that Maribeth still maintains her culture collection.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 12:04:13 am »
Drew seems to believe that Maribeth still maintains her culture collection.

Last time I knew it was all tucked away in a deep deep carbonite like freeze
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 07:36:33 am »
pretty cool - I just ordered a couple German Lager X.

I too wish ordering yeast from them was this cheap and easy for all strains.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2015, 09:30:46 am »

I think I need to jump on the Lager X, too. Doesn't look like it is listed as Platinum anymore.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2015, 12:23:17 pm »
I just pre-ordered 2 each of 835 Lager X, 033 Klassic Ale, and 030 Thames Ale. Still need over 200 pre-orders of each to make it happen, so get in there and pre-order
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2016, 06:28:03 pm »
I am curious as to why so many people are ordering blends from the Vault.  Blends are generally not stable; therefore, most are one batch cultures.  I would not wait in line for a one batch culture.  I would order the individual strains and perform the blend in-house.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2016, 09:13:50 pm »

I think I need to jump on the Lager X, too. Doesn't look like it is listed as Platinum anymore.

Ordered 2. 130 to go before it ships.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2016, 08:14:28 pm »
C'mon people!  Get your German Lager X orders in.  Just 18 to go!   :)