Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what temp does beer freeze?  (Read 37920 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
what temp does beer freeze?
« on: January 23, 2016, 08:15:02 am »
As I said in another post, I am attempting to use a side-by-side to serve from the fridge side and lager in the freezer side.  I pretty much have the temps stabilized at 32°F on the freezer side (empty) and 39°F on the serving side with one partial and one full keg and various bottles of commercial beer in it. 

The problem with this design is the temps stabilize between the two sides regardless of how much I fiddle with the temp control due to the trap door. I plan to get another temp controller but until then I am going to try to lager the Dunkle that is currently in my ferm chamber in the freezer side.

I've always heard to lager at near freezing temps.  I assume that is the freezing temp of the beer and not 32°F - the commonly used temp for "freezing" because water starts freezing at 32°F.  I've found on the interweb that most beers start to freeze at 27°-28° F.  I also found "the freezing point (°C) of beer = (-0.42 × A) + (0.04 × E) + 0.2, where A is the percent of alcohol content by weight, and E is the original gravity of the wort (°Plato). Therefore, each 1% increase in alcohol content lowers the freezing point by 0.42° C and each increase in gravity of 1° Plato raises it by 0.04°C. Thus, no beer will freeze at -1°C, and products at higher alcohol concentrations (including high-gravity brews prior to dilution) will withstand even lower temperatures."

But I'd like to ask the forum: in your experience what temp does beer freeze?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 08:26:17 am by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

Re: what temp does beer freeze?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 08:53:28 am »
In this post Denny talked about making an Eisbock. The beer didn't freeze at 29. At 26-27 it was partially frozen.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=24621.msg314239#msg314239

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 11:07:42 am »
Pressure (may) also affects the freezing temperature.  Get a bottle of beer at just the right too cold temp. and it will be all liquid until you pop the top.  Then a plug will freeze in the neck.  I would guess that altitude would also affect freezing temp. in your fermentation chamber.

Edit:  On second thought the effect may be due to a drop in temp. due to a drop in pressure.  Anyway, it's aggravating on a hot day to have to wait for the plug to thaw.  Good news is...the beer is really cold.  8)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 03:31:02 pm by Philbrew »
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 11:17:51 am »
In this post Denny talked about making an Eisbock. The beer didn't freeze at 29. At 26-27 it was partially frozen.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=24621.msg314239#msg314239

Yep.  Somebody (Jeff Rankert maybe?) also posted a chart relating freezing temp to OG.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 11:28:51 am »
Thanks folks - this makes me think I am on the right path.  I'll ck out Denny's Eisbock post.

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 03:51:34 pm »
I've briefly chilled bottled beer well below 26 without it freezing.. then when you tap the bottle the whole lot freezes in an instant. Caused by the liquid supercooling, ie cooling below freezing point but without ice crystals forming. I'm not sure how cold it got - probably only a few degrees below freezing. You can supercool pure water to -50 without it turning to ice. Not sure about beer though.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 03:53:11 pm by charles1968 »

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 04:00:24 pm »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 04:20:05 pm »

Yep.  Somebody (Jeff Rankert maybe?) also posted a chart relating freezing temp to OG.
Here is a table.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethanol-water-d_989.html

5% beer freezes around -2 C, 28.4 F. 10% beer would freeze at -4C, 25F.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 08:30:48 am »
what does everyone shoot for as the final lager/cold crash temp?  i set my freezer to -1C.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 09:46:32 am »
When we go ice fishing, we try to bring ice beer like Icehouse, as it does not freeze so quickly.  Although it is getting harder and harder to find ice beers, the ice beer craze of the 1990s being long over.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 09:47:54 am »
When we go ice fishing, we try to bring ice beer like Icehouse, as it does not freeze so quickly.  Although it is getting harder and harder to find ice beers, the ice beer craze of the 1990s being long over.

OK, you're gonna have to explain this to me...why doesn't "ice beer" freeze as quickly?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 09:51:24 am »
what does everyone shoot for as the final lager/cold crash temp?  i set my freezer to -1C.
I lager at 30F. -1C is 30.2F. Close enough.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 10:37:43 am »

OK, you're gonna have to explain this to me...why doesn't "ice beer" freeze as quickly?

Ice beer is to megaswill as eisbock is to bock.  Ice beer is made by taking, say,  budweiser, partially freezing it, and racking it off the ice crystals.  As it is more of a gimmick that eisbock, only a small amount of ice is left behind.  Most ice beers were around 6% abv vs. 5% for typical megaswill.

Gee, Denny, it sounds like you missed the 1990s ice beer craze.  It was wildly popular in Montana.  Now, except for Icehouse, they have all disappeared.

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 12:37:57 pm »

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 12:42:41 pm »
As I said in another post, I am attempting to use a side-by-side to serve from the fridge side and lager in the freezer side.  I pretty much have the temps stabilized at 32°F on the freezer side (empty) and 39°F on the serving side with one partial and one full keg and various bottles of commercial beer in it. 

have you seen someone be able to accomplish this?  not saying you can't, just surprised that you'd be able to get a freezer to hold that high while keeping the fridge at 39. IIRC, my old side x side freezer temp was right at 0df and my new fridge top/bottom has the freezer at slightly below zero. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281