Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Czech Pale Lager/Světlé Výčepní Pivo/Helles Schankbier  (Read 1892 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Czech Pale Lager/Světlé Výčepní Pivo/Helles Schankbier
« on: January 24, 2016, 12:06:30 pm »
Anyone been to the Czech Republic and tried this beer?

Světlé Výčepní Pivo   3-4% (8-10° Plato)   Pale, low-strength lager. In German the name translates as "Helles Schankbier". Usually highly-attenuated and fairly hoppy. Not lagered for any great time, such beers are sold 3-4 weeks after mashing. The most popular style of beer in the Czech Republic.

Sounds like a 'session' Bo Pils. Curious if anyone's had a proper one or any tips on adding some character to a 3% brew. Love the idea of it.

Thinking Weyerman Bohemian Pilsner base with some carafoam and/or carahell. Saaz hops of course, and 2000 yeast. Seems like the sort of style that the intense Czech decoctions may help.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Czech Pale Lager/Světlé Výčepní Pivo/Helles Schankbier
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 02:44:52 pm »
The BJCP 25015 Guidelines says those beers are not highly attenuated because they are fermented colder than German pils and often without a diacetyl rest.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 03:25:09 pm »
Description I copied was from Ron Pattinson's European Beer Guide - Seems like the BJCP can be off the mark for Euro styles though so I dunno if I 100% trust it. But I've never been to the Czech Republic so I can't weigh in. Diacytel does seem more common in Czech beers.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 08:17:52 pm »
BJCP means nothing when it comes to these styles. It sounds good, but unfortunately I don't have any experience with this kind of beer, especially in the Czech Republic.
I think what I'd do is brew a lower gravity Czech pilsner, do a step mash, and over pitch a tad. Pick up some good Moravian malt, use a little carafoam, maybe a percent or 2 of caramunich or 4-5% carahell, and call it good with wyeast 2000.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 08:19:30 pm by beersk »
Jesse

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 09:44:33 am »
Anyone been to the Czech Republic and tried this beer?

Světlé Výčepní Pivo   3-4% (8-10° Plato)   Pale, low-strength lager. In German the name translates as "Helles Schankbier". Usually highly-attenuated and fairly hoppy. Not lagered for any great time, such beers are sold 3-4 weeks after mashing. The most popular style of beer in the Czech Republic.

Sounds like a 'session' Bo Pils. Curious if anyone's had a proper one or any tips on adding some character to a 3% brew. Love the idea of it.

Thinking Weyerman Bohemian Pilsner base with some carafoam and/or carahell. Saaz hops of course, and 2000 yeast. Seems like the sort of style that the intense Czech decoctions may help.

Yep.  The Pilsner Urquell (Plzeňský Prazdroj) brewery brews a beer called Gambrinus, that matches this description.  Very drinkable and delicious.  I think of it as PU's version of Busch.  :)

I think to brew it, you would just brew a normal bo-pils, then add water to it post-fermentation.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 05:56:44 pm »
Gambrinus used to be independent brewery next door to Plzenský Prazdoj.

Trick to these flavorful and low alcohol beer is to have enough body left over when done fermenting.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com