Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Citrix ShareConnect  (Read 1133 times)

RPIScotty

Citrix ShareConnect
« on: January 24, 2016, 07:20:51 am »
If you enjoy using programs such as ProMash and Excel sheets like Bru'n Water but would like to access them on your IPad, Citrix ShareConnect may be something worth checking out.

It's a free app from Citrix that allows you to register one PC for free. You can then remotely access your PC on your iPhone or iPad.

I discovered it while trying to get around two roadblocks:

1.) My laptop went through its paces with me in college and long ago lost its battery. It still functions wonderfully but has to be plugged in. I want to be able to run ProMash on my iPad and ShareConnect allows me to do that.

2.) Bru'n Water is great but it's macro dropdowns and sliders mean that it can't function on Excel for IPad. Short of changing the macros to data validation dropdowns in the Bru'n Water code, I was stuck. Now I can access Bru'n Water through my desktop via ShareConnect.

EDIT: the reason this was an issue for me is related to my laptop not having a battery anymore. I need a 120v umbilical to run my laptop and since I brew in the kitchen this poses a significant trip hazard due to the outlets being in less than ideal spots relative to the stove.

EDIT: it's looking like there is a bit of lag on the Remote Desktop screen. I'd have to play with it a bit more. The good thing is you have total access to your desktop with the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 08:34:49 am by RPIScotty »

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
Re: Citrix ShareConnect
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 04:06:51 pm »
I've used the RDC app from Microsoft on my iPad and it works pretty well. It's best if you're just on your own LAN and not wanting to connect from elsewhere (that can be done, but can get tricky). It needs Windows 7+ or XP Professional.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

RPIScotty

Re: Citrix ShareConnect
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 06:49:12 pm »
I'll check that out. The Citrix program lags considerably when trying to manipulate Bru'n water or ProMash on the iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk