Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: more things not to worry about...  (Read 1570 times)

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
more things not to worry about...
« on: February 25, 2016, 09:24:04 am »
I made a small batch of rye saison last month as a way to build up some WLP565 for a series of bigger saisons this spring and accidentally dropped the entire preform tube into the fermenter when pitching the yeast. I hemmed and hawed about it a while and then just thought, "screw it, it'll be fine." And it was! The hydrometer sample last weekend while bottling tasted excellent! I typically spray down the entire preform when pitching so I wasn't worried about infection. I was more worried if some of the label/glue would interact with the beer at all. Not an issue.

So, if you drop your whole damn tube of yeast in the fermenter, RDWHAHB.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: more things not to worry about...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 12:14:03 pm »
Good to hear everything worked out for you.  Hopefully the yeast found their way out of the package before you dropped it in!  :D

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 01:29:45 pm »
Luckily, yes.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 08:58:02 pm »
Brewer and their tales. Of course it tasted great!  ;D

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 05:34:47 am »
This will sound like heresy but we actually can worry too much about sanitation. Beer spoilage bacteria (not all bacteria can survive fermentation) usually is outnumbered by yeast. Generally the really nasty bugs build up over time, like an unclean port or dirty lines. For me, when a sanitation error happens I usually don't sweat it too much but often times, depending on the severity of the accident, I will plan not to harvest the yeast from that batch and start fresh. even so, in most cases (like dropping the vial) you will be fine since there probably isn't much that can live on clean plastic. And, FTR, with vials and smack packs I always sanitize the whole package before pitching to account for accidents such as this.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 09:21:01 am »
Yup, I always spray down the whole smack pack/tube before pitching. I'm repitching this yeast into a series of saisons I've brewed before so if something seems off, I may know the culprit.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 09:40:25 am »
LOL that's the thing! You'll never be certain it was the repitch, the mishap or something else. Probably best not to worry overmuch....
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 10:36:17 am »

So, if you drop your whole damn tube of yeast in the fermenter, RDWHAHB.