Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mini-keg Kegerator Setup  (Read 5106 times)

RPIScotty

Mini-keg Kegerator Setup
« on: January 24, 2016, 01:20:24 pm »
I'm contemplating a keg setup and would like to use the smaller < 2 gal kegs and make a kegerator with tap tower in a mini fridge.

Anyone have experience with the various mini-kegs sold through the big homebrew sites?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Mini-keg Kegerator Setup
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 02:13:16 pm »
I bet you'll be happier with small corny kegs than with mini kegs.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

RPIScotty

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 02:29:44 pm »
I brew small batches though. I'm not really interested in anything bigger than 2 gal. Any reason I might not like them? Inferior?

Offline GilesTH

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 02:40:57 pm »
I used them for a little while, and even though they're lined most of the way around the inside, the lip inside the bung hole is NOT. This means that they rust. Not quickly, but it happens within about a year. They're also only good for about eight uses. I recommend a 1.5 or 2.5 gallon Torpedo Keg. Morebeer has them, as do a few other shops. If you're worried about space, you can still condition-carb them and get an adapter that uses co2 cartridges, rather than going with a 2.5-5lb co2 tank. Long-term, it's WAY cheaper, too.

RPIScotty

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 02:46:44 pm »
The 1.5 gal torpedo are the perfect size. I was thinking 4 taps. I want to keg the non high gravity beers and bottle the others. Still in planning stages.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 02:47:25 pm »
Morebeer sells 1.5 gallon cornies: http://www.morebeer.com/products/torpedo-ball-lock-kegs.html?gclid=CNnQ39-0w8oCFQMLaQodtsEOAg

Williams brewing sells 1.75 gallon cornies: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/KEGS-C109.aspx

I know some people have had good luck with the mini kegs.  There was a very long and detailed thread on the NB forum about how to use them successfully, but I'm not sure if it's viewable any longer since they recently switched to a new format and pretty much killed any posts prior to 2013. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

RPIScotty

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 02:48:36 pm »
I think we're playing semantics tag here. I really meant what you guys are referencing, not the mini 5L jobbers.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 05:30:42 pm »
I'd go with 3 gallon pin locks. They're pretty cheap at AiH.

You might only get two in a mini fridge though.

It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline tommymorris

Mini-keg Kegerator Setup
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 05:33:28 pm »
If your going mini fridge and trying for 4 taps the Morebeer Torpedoes are stackable. That may be the only way to get to 4 taps.

RPIScotty

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 05:41:04 pm »

I'd go with 3 gallon pin locks. They're pretty cheap at AiH.

You might only get two in a mini fridge though.

I'll have to keep all this in mind.

Here is what I envision:

I'd likely build around a 4.4 or 5 cu. ft. mini fridge. I would like to frame out a 4 tap wooden tower.

I would modify the internals as needed and would like to fit 4 1.5 gal. torpedo kegs in. Is have to measure it all out and draw it up but that's where my head is going. I've resisted the idea of kegging but we are planning on a decent bar setup in our next house and this would be perfect.

I'll likely try and keg Pale ales, Browns, etc. and bottle higher gravity beers.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 05:45:02 pm »
Check out the prices. You might could do two fridges an four pin locks cheaper than torpedoes.

Pn locks are crazy cheap.

It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

RPIScotty

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 05:53:29 pm »

Check out the prices. You might could do two fridges an four pin locks cheaper than torpedoes.

Pn locks are crazy cheap.

Your probably right Joe. That might just be the excuse I need to grab a new MLT and some 3 gallon carboys and start doing bigger batches of the more "session-able" beers I like.

I'll stick with small batches of higher grav beer for bottles though.

I'll price it out and if 4 torpedoes at 1.5 gal can be had for a good price I'll go with that. Other wise I'll just do a 2 tower single fridge with 3 gal pin locks.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 06:21:05 pm »
I've been looking at the various mini fridges and many, if not all, require a healthy amount of modification to hold kegs on the floor. This means the kegs would need to be on a shelf which could cause weight issues requiring a different set of modifications.

You might be better off buying a purpose built kegerator and modifying the tower for as many kegs as you can fit.

Not saying it's impossible, will just take some work and maybe some compromises.

RPIScotty

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 06:34:24 pm »
The best bet looks to be 2.5 gal ball locks in a 4.4 ci ft. Fridge

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 06:42:05 pm »
You might be better off buying a purpose built kegerator and modifying the tower for as many kegs as you can fit.

Not saying it's impossible, will just take some work and maybe some compromises.

I agree.
Jon H.