Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Coming Fast  (Read 3218 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: NHC Coming Fast
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 11:00:01 am »
Everything is ready or lagering and almost there. 

Ima finally get that Major Award this year.   8)
It would be nice to get out of the first round again. Been striking out the last couple of years.

I know what you mean.  The first year I entered, I got a silver in the finals.  The second year, got 2 through the first round but nothing in the finals.  the next year, nothing in the first round...I'm going to wrong way!!

Screw the major award, I just want a medal with a purple lanyard. Well, that and to hug/pickup Janis on stage for my picture in Zymurgy, but that's a whole 'nother story. Haha  ;D

I thought you already got your pic in Zymurgy?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 11:16:53 am »

It would be nice to get out of the first round again. Been striking out the last couple of years.

I know what you mean.  The first year I entered, I got a silver in the finals.  The second year, got 2 through the first round but nothing in the finals.  the next year, nothing in the first round...I'm going to wrong way!!

Screw the major award, I just want a medal with a purple lanyard. Well, that and to hug/pickup Janis on stage for my picture in Zymurgy, but that's a whole 'nother story. Haha  ;D

I thought you already got your pic in Zymurgy?

Giving Janis the hug is a goal. There was a picture on the competition page for a few years of Mrs R giving Charlie a big hug. Maybe that is why he is not around for the awards these days?  ;)

On Facebook there has been a picture of Joe Formanek giving Janis a hug.
https://www.facebook.com/events/198237787189858/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:20:12 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 11:31:36 am »

(Stuff) happens  (or "Nashville happens" as I said last year)
at the banquet in SD I said I had two goals for Balt - 1) win all 4 Major Awards and 2) get Boo'd louder than the Brewing Network for #1.  haha; hey a man can dream.

good luck to you all--
--Michael

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 12:04:06 pm »
2) get Boo'd louder than the Brewing Network for #1.  haha; hey a man can dream.

Hell,  #2 will never happen.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 02:16:36 pm »
Have a few lagers at various stages of lagering.  Mild and a scottish that I need to keg later this week probably.  I am sure I will have a couple "short turn around" beers on hand  (like a blonde, pale ale, british bitter)...... Just kind of need to evaluate them all when the time comes and see which ones are worth sending in.

Had 6 get through to the finals over the past 3 years..... but still no hardware to show for any of them.  Hoping my luck turns around this year.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 04:04:04 pm »

I seem to be going backwards too.  Either I'm brewing worse or everybody else is getting better.  I prefer the latter.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2016, 04:06:05 pm »

I seem to be going backwards too.  Either I'm brewing worse or everybody else is getting better.  I prefer the latter.
Agreed.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 02:10:24 pm »
Rookie question I know but does anyone remember if the NHC 1st and 2nd rounds take bottle caps that have markings on them, as long as the cap is blacked out?

I bottled entries for 3 comps the other night, one being NHC, and realized I had caps with a picture on them.  I blacked out all the caps for the comps I sent to, but wasn't sure if NHC allowed this (the other comps say they do if blacked out).

AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 03:24:33 pm »
My recollection from last year is yes to blacked-out caps.  But I'm far from authoritative.

I was hoping to get some beers to KC this year, but I lost track of time.  I will not be staying up late tonight to bottle and send 2-day delivery.

So, it's time to start thinking NHC.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 04:03:39 pm »
I have a real good American amber ale recipe that I'm thinking about brewing in the next day or so.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 04:18:42 pm »
Rookie question I know but does anyone remember if the NHC 1st and 2nd rounds take bottle caps that have markings on them, as long as the cap is blacked out?

I bottled entries for 3 comps the other night, one being NHC, and realized I had caps with a picture on them.  I blacked out all the caps for the comps I sent to, but wasn't sure if NHC allowed this (the other comps say they do if blacked out).

From the rules and regulations page:

"Must be free of ink, paint, or paper labeling other than the competition entry label. Obliterate any lettering or graphics on the cap with a permanent black marker."
Frank

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 05:43:22 am »
My recollection from last year is yes to blacked-out caps.  But I'm far from authoritative.

I was hoping to get some beers to KC this year, but I lost track of time.  I will not be staying up late tonight to bottle and send 2-day delivery.

KC as in the KCBM comp? Entry deadline is 2/5, you have an extra week!  8) And the prizes are awesome. I would link to our website, but it is blocked at work. :/

Back to original topic: I'm hoping that I get 5-6 entry spots, but I'll be plenty happy with 4. If I get 5-6, more American Wilds go. If not, well... I'm not going to compete against myself!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 06:30:07 am »

From the rules and regulations page:

"Must be free of ink, paint, or paper labeling other than the competition entry label. Obliterate any lettering or graphics on the cap with a permanent black marker."

And I even looked at that page, but there were so many words :)  Thanks.

Still plenty of time to get them there via UPS Ground especially from Chicago.  Unless you are entering ciders...then you should probably just forget it  ;D

Here's the link to the comp site: http://www.kcbiermeisters.org/competitions/kcbm-competition.html
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2016, 08:52:21 am »

KC as in the KCBM comp? Entry deadline is 2/5, you have an extra week!  8) And the prizes are awesome. I would link to our website, but it is blocked at work. :/

Back to original topic: I'm hoping that I get 5-6 entry spots, but I'll be plenty happy with 4. If I get 5-6, more American Wilds go. If not, well... I'm not going to compete against myself!

Clearly, I have issues with scheduling.  For some reason I thought it closed this Friday.

Now I have to look through the stash and make decisions.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton