Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smokers: electric vs gas  (Read 4884 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Smokers: electric vs gas
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 08:07:15 am »
Pretty much, and smaller and lighter than the usual 55 gallon UDS. I looked into trying to build one myself, and in the end it was just easier to spend a little but more and buy the PBC.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 08:10:16 am »
Gas?!? Elec!?! That's not REAL BBQ. It has to be charcoal or a stick burner. LOL.
Seriously, I've heard Masterbuilt smokers are pretty good. I've seen them in Gander Mountain. I imagine Cabela's has them, too.

I agree, half the fun is staying up all night drinking and putting more chunks in every couple hours. Although lately, I have been smoking my pork all day in the regular bbqpit and then putting it in the oven overnight to finish. Once it has been smoked for a significant amount of time, there's not really a need to keep having the smoke hit it imo.

I'll probably eventually get an electric smoker

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 08:23:14 am »
I agree, half the fun is staying up all night drinking and putting more chunks in every couple hours. Although lately, I have been smoking my pork all day in the regular bbqpit and then putting it in the oven overnight to finish. Once it has been smoked for a significant amount of time, there's not really a need to keep having the smoke hit it imo.

I've done this.  Except instead of staying up drinking all night, I went to bed and set my alarm to go off every two hours.  In the wee hours, I brought the shoulder in and stuck it in the oven.  It came out awesome and the house smelled like smoked pork for breakfast.

I've got basically a home-made smoke-ez.  Thought about the pellet smokers, keep looking at the BGE, but I don't need to spend the dough.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline PutnamBrewer

• 1st Kit
  • CT Homebrewer
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 08:46:36 am »
I will say that I'm very happy with my Bradley Original Smoker.  Sure you have to use their pucks but I usually shot off the smoke generator after 3-4 hours of smoking and let the rest of it go till it's done.

Haven't made anything bad with it yet. 

When I have the time, I use my WSM but the Bradley comes in handy more times than I can tell.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 05:48:22 am »
Gas?!? Elec!?! That's not REAL BBQ. It has to be charcoal or a stick burner. LOL.
Seriously, I've heard Masterbuilt smokers are pretty good. I've seen them in Gander Mountain. I imagine Cabela's has them, too.

After seeing how little gas it took to run the smoker all day I'd recommend gas over electric. Seems like this canister could last 8 smoking sessions at least. Also, you can use charcoal as well as wood in the gas and the electric has a much smaller wood chip canister. the gas is just like smoking on the bullet smoker except it keeps the temp steady throughout the session without having to stoke up charcoal coals over and over again. And there is still the enjoyment of loading wood chips and sitting around drinking beer and watching the smoke pour out.

Plus, on my smoker I could easily smoke 2 pork butts and probably 4 chickens.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 10:11:55 am »
I will say that I'm very happy with my Bradley Original Smoker.  Sure you have to use their pucks but I usually shot off the smoke generator after 3-4 hours of smoking and let the rest of it go till it's done.

Haven't made anything bad with it yet. 

When I have the time, I use my WSM but the Bradley comes in handy more times than I can tell.

I have a Bradley as well.  Luckily it was a garage sale find for $50, because those pucks don't come cheep.  Still trying to nail down a good bacon brine, but each batch gets a little better.  SWMBO got me the cold smoke attachment for Christmas. Have not tried it yet. 

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 09:29:19 am »
Pretty much, and smaller and lighter than the usual 55 gallon UDS. I looked into trying to build one myself, and in the end it was just easier to spend a little but more and buy the PBC.

We obviously have different check books, because that is more than spending a little to me!  ;)

One of the local maple syrup producers has SS 50 gallon barrels which he will sell a few of each year for $75, I have been considering making a smoker out of one, probably could do it for under $100 after adding the necessary grates/racks, cutting a hole or two, etc.

Thanks for the review of the Akron, Mike, those have been on my radar for a couple years and I've been considering purchasing one. I collect grills/smokers like other people collect baseball cards.
"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 09:35:11 am »
If I'd had access to sub-$100 55 gallon food grade drums I wouldn't have bothered with the PBC. All said and done, a UDS was looking to cost me around $200, and still be larger/heavier than what I was looking for.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.