Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Podcast questions  (Read 948 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Podcast questions
« on: January 27, 2016, 09:38:30 am »
Drew and I are getting ready to record the next podcast and we're looking for questions for the Q&A section.  You can either post them here or mail them to podcast@experimentalbrew.com
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Brutal Eric

• Cellarman
Re: Podcast questions
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 09:51:51 am »
That's Great! So I am going to do a RIS and want the barrel aged flavor. I have a medium oak Beer Stix. Question one- What bourbon? I usually drink Whiskey.
Question two - How long in the Bourbon soak
Question three - How long in the fermenter?
Shooting for 10% ABV
Thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 10:14:20 am »
That's Great! So I am going to do a RIS and want the barrel aged flavor. I have a medium oak Beer Stix. Question one- What bourbon? I usually drink Whiskey.
Question two - How long in the Bourbon soak
Question three - How long in the fermenter?
Shooting for 10% ABV
Thanks

Got it!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

RPIScotty

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 11:05:46 am »
Can you guys shed some light on ice bath fermentation control for those of us who can't accommodate the extra space and resources for an electronically controlled setup?

In particular:

1.) What are some good approximations for the delta T of the ice bath to maintain a specific temperature? I've heard 5 deg F lower than desired fermentation temperature.

2.) I know you've advocated this method in the past Denny. What are some general tips for homebrewers to use when ice bath cooling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 12:42:24 pm »
Heat wrap on winter lagers - any adverse flavor effects compared to a temperature controlled chest freezer used in the rest of the year?  Is the wrap a reliable way to heat the wort in the fermenter or does it heat up at the outer wall of the fermenter to a temperature that adversely affects the lager yeast immediately adjacent to the heat source?

I am thinking about off flavors that might come from slightly excessive heat applied at the fermenter wall - not experienced in the situation where ambient cooling is used (my typical approach). 

FWIW, I am fermenting and lagering in my garage this winter and don't have a great way to heat up the interior of the chest freezer to keep it warm enough to remain reliably in the fermentation temperature range of the lager yeast. (Garage temp is around or just below freezing this time of the year).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"