Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vitners Harvest Purees  (Read 2371 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Vitners Harvest Purees
« on: January 27, 2016, 10:35:31 am »
To anyone who has used these pureees in secondary before, how long did it take to ferment out? 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Vitners Harvest Purees
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 10:38:06 am »
I've used them before in secondary. I gave them 2 weeks and was at FG by that time.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 10:57:10 am »
same here..10+ days, however I wasn't checking all the time so could have been done earlier I suppose.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 12:17:31 pm »
Has anybody used their mango purée? It's the only reasonably priced mango purée that I can find. I'll deal with whole fruit, but I'd rather not lol.
Frank

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 11:08:24 pm »
I normally go 10 days on fruit puree temp controlled, starting about a week into the primary ferment.  I recently used a can of the Vintners Harvest raspberry puree for 5 gals of my 10-gal batch of oatmeal robust porter, and it was done after probably 5-6 days.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 06:50:00 am »
Has anybody used their mango purée? It's the only reasonably priced mango purée that I can find. I'll deal with whole fruit, but I'd rather not lol.

I go to costco, buy the frozen mangos and make my own puree in a food processor. Cheap. Easy and tastes great.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 07:11:22 am »

I go to costco, buy the frozen mangos and make my own puree in a food processor. Cheap. Easy and tastes great.

Thanks, Keith... How many Mangos do you use in a batch. I was planning maybe 7.5lbs. I'm going to make a habanero/mango pale ale.
Frank

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 09:28:34 am »

Thanks, Keith... How many Mangos do you use in a batch. I was planning maybe 7.5lbs. I'm going to make a habanero/mango pale ale.

I used 4 pounds in a 5 gallon batch in secondary and it had plenty of mango flavor. Tasted great. First time I did it with a citra pale ale, right now I have 4 lbs aging in a 5 gallon carboy of tripel.

General rule has always been 1-2 pounds of fruit per gallon but I sometimes find that 1 pound per gallon can actually be too much depending on what you are going for. I prefer subtlety.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 10:41:05 am »

Hi Keith, I'm curious - do you first pasteurize the homemade Costco puree before adding it to secondary, such as stovetop @ 150F for 20 min, cool and then add?  I'd have to double check the temperature I use but that is my normal procedure when using homemade puree.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 11:06:31 am »

I used 4 pounds in a 5 gallon batch in secondary and it had plenty of mango flavor. Tasted great. First time I did it with a citra pale ale, right now I have 4 lbs aging in a 5 gallon carboy of tripel.

General rule has always been 1-2 pounds of fruit per gallon but I sometimes find that 1 pound per gallon can actually be too much depending on what you are going for. I prefer subtlety.

That sounds good. I've used fruit before, but not mango. I wasn't sure if it would end up being mellow or not. I'll be using a pile of Citra in this beer as well. I don't want too much either, but I certainly want enough in there to accent the habanero.
Frank

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 12:51:44 pm »
I've used them before in secondary. I gave them 2 weeks and was at FG by that time.

Do you think there is any additional fruit flavor extracted for a letting the beer sit on the fruit puree after it is done fermenting?

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 12:57:15 pm »

Do you think there is any additional fruit flavor extracted for a letting the beer sit on the fruit puree after it is done fermenting?
[/quote4

Yes, to a point, which some in the know put at about 10 or maybe up to 14 days total on the fruit.  Otherwise there is a potential for sliminess and/or contamination/off flavors.

YMMV depending on the fruit and its origin.

edit: personally, I recommend pasteurizing fruit puree used if it doesn't come that way.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 01:00:36 pm by brewsumore »