Author Topic: Oxidation - Mitch Steele  (Read 4778 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Oxidation - Mitch Steele
« on: January 27, 2016, 06:29:37 PM »
With all the talk about oxidation in a thread or two lately, I read this article recently on Mitch Steele's blog. It's pretty informative for a newer brewer, good reinforcement for experienced brewers  :

http://hoptripper.com/the-real-quality-issue-oxidation/
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
Re: Oxidation - Mitch Steele
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 06:45:34 PM »
Deeeeeeecent. Thanks for posting.
die Schönheit der bier...

Jesse

Offline ynotbrusum

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 07:00:03 PM »
Yea, good stuff, but it makes me wonder if I need to try to rig up something for a CO2 push to move beer from the primary to keg.  Also re-thinking the auto siphon and whether that is injecting O2 when starting the siphon....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 07:08:10 PM »
Also re-thinking the auto siphon and whether that is injecting O2 when starting the siphon....

I've always wondered that, too.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 07:08:53 PM »
Yea, good stuff, but it makes me wonder if I need to try to rig up something for a CO2 push to move beer from the primary to keg.  Also re-thinking the auto siphon and whether that is injecting O2 when starting the siphon....

Have you ever had an oxidation problem?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 07:09:35 PM »
Also re-thinking the auto siphon and whether that is injecting O2 when starting the siphon....

I'd guess it is.  But the question is, has it caused a problem?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline The Beerery

• Senior Brewmaster
  • More you know, the more you know you don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 07:09:43 PM »

LOL, you all have oxidation problems.
Herr, wirf Hirn vom Himmel!
(Oder Steine, Hauptsache er trifft.)
Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com (Now with forums)
"Consistently successful brewers are invariably the ones who operate low oxygen systems." -George Fix Circa 1999
Taplist and Fermentation Cellar
"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change"

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 07:15:27 PM »

I'd guess it is.  But the question is, has it caused a problem?

I don't feel it has, Denny. But if I compared it to a totally closed transfer system I guess I might feel differently. My beers don't show the obvious effects and have great aroma though.
Jon H.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 07:27:04 PM »
Not terribly at least not recently, but I am thinking about when I bottle from keg on those few occasions (gift beers, comp beers, and other stored beer situations.  I don't always keep an extra sampler beer for those purposes, so I never know if the beers hold up well in the packaging...just thinking out loud and trying to come up with a justification to my wife for the conical, maybe?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dbeechum

• Administrator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 07:31:07 PM »
Here's what I know - I push everything with CO2 and go into fully purged kegs and can store a 5% beer for 2-3 years and have it taste lovely and fresh. So anecdotally speaking - it matters if you're going for the long term.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 07:44:34 PM »

And you don't?  How do you know we all have oxidation problems?  Define a problem.  Geez, man, tone it down.

www.dennybrew.com

RPIScotty

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 07:54:55 PM »

Geez, man, tone it down.

I don't think he can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline beersk

• In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 08:11:11 PM »

And you don't?  How do you know we all have oxidation problems?  Define a problem.  Geez, man, tone it down.
lulz...it's too much sometimes.
I doubt it's a problem in the short term, but yeah, maybe for longer aging. I doubt the autosiphon adds that much oxygen when starting the siphon. Sure it might me some right at the start, but it seems negligible. For my smaller batches, I ferment in kegs and push to fully purged kegs with co2. I really really like doing that.
die Schönheit der bier...

Jesse

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 08:21:11 PM »
Yea, good stuff, but it makes me wonder if I need to try to rig up something for a CO2 push to move beer from the primary to keg. 

They're super easy to build. Just a stainless racking cane, a purple carboy cap, and a male MFL fitting. Mine is here.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Education Director
BJCP Assistant Education Director
BJCP Master/Mead

Redbird Brewhouse - There's Always a Project
Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 08:34:39 PM »
Yea, good stuff, but it makes me wonder if I need to try to rig up something for a CO2 push to move beer from the primary to keg. 

They're super easy to build. Just a stainless racking cane, a purple carboy cap, and a male MFL fitting. Mine is here.

You've gone hi-tech compared to my ghetto set up.  I use my regular old plastic racking cane and use a pneumatic air gun attachment to inject CO2 through the other port of the carboy cap.  I suppose your system is more closed than mine, but I worry more about the O2 in the container I'm racking into than the air that gets drawn into the fermenter as it empties.

What PSI do you push at?  I use BBs so I don't get worried about them exploding, but the punt on the bottom will push out a bit if the pressure is too high.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton