Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Attending your first homebrew club meeting  (Read 3054 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Attending your first homebrew club meeting
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 05:49:51 pm »
I was wondering what the typical size is of a homebrew club. They seem quite large.

It varies wildly based on the club. I've been to some club meetings that were <10 people, a great many in the 20-40 range and then there are some clubs like QUAFF or the Falcons (my club) where 70+ is normal on meeting day.

Important thing to remember, no matter what - the people there are beer nutty. You're presumably beer nutty too. You have common ground. Most of us are also socially awkward, so... it's all good.

Easy way to get involved and break the ice - volunteer to help setup or tear down!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 11:36:12 am »
When sampling a stranger's beer, don't use air fingers quotes to emphasize certain words. Example: Hey, this is really ""interesting""! or So, how long have you been ""brewing""? or Can I get your ""recipe""?

Now that's ""funny"".
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 05:01:42 pm »

Important thing to remember, no matter what - the people there are beer nutty. You're presumably beer nutty too. You have common ground. Most of us are also socially awkward, so... it's all good.

Socially awkward beer nut, yep, that's me. I co-founded the damn thing in my hometown, and most of what I remember from the first meeting was keeping a safe distance as I observed people trying to open a bottle in a bucket without getting soaking wet.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.