Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxidation - Mitch Steele  (Read 9583 times)

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Oxidation - Mitch Steele
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 03:54:09 pm »
I've had issues periodically that I've wondered whether or not were oxidation. The descriptor of "wet cardboard" always threw me off as I wouldn't describe it as such unless that's what cardboard might taste like soaked in my beer. What he mentioned about the flavor being something like plum or raisin seems somewhat similar I suppose, and it is mostly in higher (15%) crystal beers.

The problems show up about every 5th or 6th brew on average I guess and doesn't show its face until about the 3rd week and only gets more pronounced.

I've figured it was my siphon. But I've since improved my skill and getting it started. It used to take a few strokes. Now it's one or two.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 03:58:10 pm »
If you have a keg. Add your dry hops to keg first, purge with co2 then rack beer on top. I think you pick up way more o2 by dry hopping then you will using an auto siphon.

Great advice. Same thing I do and I've noticed a definite difference.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2016, 04:06:05 pm »
Also, I've noticed in high % crystal beers that oxidize, the crystal character gets really exaggerated - heavy, unpleasant caramel character that's way out of balance as compared to when the beer was fresh. I've noticed that same nasty, heavy caramel character in German imports that were well past their prime.
Jon H.

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2016, 04:16:17 pm »
I'm really wondering if I've figured this out.

Each one is different but has a similar quality to it. And with it coming on with time I believed it the more likely problem.

I had been contemplating taking a BJCP judge coarse to see if I could learn to identify off characteristics as I haven't seemed to find anyone knowledgeable.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2016, 04:46:50 pm »
But I've since improved my skill and getting it started. It used to take a few strokes. Now it's one or two.
That's what she said... har.

I don't think that little bit it takes to start the siphon will add enough to ruin the whole batch. After the initial beer flows through, the siphon is air free, unless there's a leak where the hose meets the racking cane or something.

Jesse

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2016, 04:53:27 pm »
Ha ha!

I'd have to pump several times which seemed to aerate it, and still noticed an air bubble where the hose attaches to the cane that slowly filled. And upon ending it gurgled a lot. This was the only thing that made sense to me.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2016, 05:09:17 pm »
Ha ha!

I'd have to pump several times which seemed to aerate it, and still noticed an air bubble where the hose attaches to the cane that slowly filled. And upon ending it gurgled a lot. This was the only thing that made sense to me.

If you chill your beer down first prior to racking it with an autosiphon setup, you will not have that tiny bubble issue in between the tubing and racking cane.  The cold seems to contract the plastic better making a tighter seal, at least IME.

And, you can also use a tubing clip to pinch off your flow so you don't get any extra gurgling oxygen bubbles coming through your siphon into your packaging. I used both of these methods prior to close transfering via CO2 into my kegs with good success.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2016, 05:31:51 pm »
I've never done any of the more sophisticated/advanced ways of transferring beer from carboy to keg...not that there's anything wrong with doing it that way;; I just haven't perceived any oxidation issues siphoning my beer into a purged keg.  If my beer suffers from oxidation, then I'm blind to it and so are others who've tried my home brew.

As Keith mentioned, perhaps heavily hopped beers would benefit most from a closed transfer....I wont say definitively my process has resulted is less hop aroma and flavor-that could very well be the case. I just know my beer doesn't taste oxidized nor is it color impacted - so with that I sleep easy and carry on.

I only started pressurized transfers because I hate starting a siphon.  Hate it.  This made it easier.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2016, 06:33:15 pm »

I only started pressurized transfers because I hate starting a siphon.  Hate it.  This made it easier.

I am this same kind of lazy. Although, I like to think of it as being efficient. ;)

Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2016, 08:14:29 pm »
Pressure transferring an ESB into a keg:

Filled the keg with CO2 via the liquid post prior to transferring, had a nice little cloudy blanket on top of the beer. Could have done it through the liquid post, but my 1/4" transfer line needs replacing.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2016, 08:23:43 pm »
Using an autosiphon looks way easier than that set up. Using the spigot on a Speidel even easier. ;)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2016, 08:35:35 pm »
Imagine half the battle is just constructing it...after that not that big of a deal. I guess I'd probably do the same if I thought there was an issue with oxidation....just haven't come to that conclusion so auto siphon it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2016, 04:37:19 am »
Using an autosiphon looks way easier than that set up. Using the spigot on a Speidel even easier. ;)
I got a speidel for Christmas and kegged my first batch fermented in it this past Saturday. Boy, was it easier! I purged my keg with CO2 first.  Only problem is I then dry hopped.  Guess I will add my dry hops first, then purge next time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2016, 05:47:35 am »

Oh absolutely, and I do use the spigot on our Speidels. But you gotta admit, those Speidel spigots are just the worst size. Just over 3/8" and just under 7/16". Dang Europeans.  ;)

I just quit buying autosiphons after I was gifted two stainless racking canes. It was cheaper to purchase the purple carboy cap and MFL fitting than yet another autosiphon. Personal preference.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2016, 07:16:49 am »
Still love my autosiphon, but someday I'll probably get one of those Brew Bucket things from SS Brewtech. A friend of mine just got one because he hates even dealing with an autosiphon. I think he'll like it.
Jesse