Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Two Marzens Experiment (was: random semi-organized chaos, new year resolutions)  (Read 3678 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: random semi-organized chaos, new year resolutions, and whatever else
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 09:12:05 am »
Ouch sorry should have been posted in https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=27380.msg357038#msg357038

No problem Frank.

Apparently your thread is so randomly chaotic whatever that you have a reply for anything that is posted here.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 09:17:11 am »
Understood -- I'll go lie down now.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 07:52:40 am »
Update:

Two marzens, same recipe, different efficiencies, different mash methods, one sparged and one not, everything else the same...

Are now in bottles after just 14 days with the help of gelatin and ice.  They look and taste a bit different..... one with a touch more haze, one with diacetyl and the other not.  I'm hoping the diacetyl disappears with a few weeks of age as has been my experience in the past.  One I feel also has a much richer malt flavor than the other.  Final gravities were also quite different, 3 points from one another.  Feel free to take guesses as to what's what; however, I shall most likely need to restructure this very confusing thread later anyway.

Cheers.
Dave

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
I just got through blind triangling myself.  I singled out the odd one but damn, they were close.  Initial results are forthcoming within the next few days......
Dave

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
This has been a cool thread to read. I LOVE Marzen. I have 15 gallons in the works right now. I have 2 - 5 gallon batches of a recipe I put together copying Great Lakes Oktoberfest and 5 gallons of my swag at DuClaw Mad Bishop. One will be lagering until Oct 1. and two of them are in the diacetyl rest phase right now and won't be ready until late October.

Reading through this I realize how little I know about brewing. HA!