Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Pico Brew  (Read 7280 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: New Pico Brew
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2015, 07:29:41 pm »
There are already similar products being developed. 

Brewie: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/brewie-world-s-first-fully-automated-home-brewery#/

MiniBrew: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/minibrew-the-easiest-smartest-brewing-machine#/

Not after these ventures get a visit from PicoBrew's legal team!  It pays to perform a patent search before attempting to enter another company's market.
Too bad their crack legal staff didn't find that Mike O'Brien had been selling pico-brewing half barrel rims systems from the late 90s. He had common law trademark rights, could have raised a stink, but that is not his style. Many in the Midwest have Mike's systems, including me and some guy named Gordon.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2015, 07:39:24 pm »
Too bad their crack legal staff didn't find that Mike O'Brien had been selling pico-brewing half barrel rims systems from the late 90s. He had common law trademark rights, could have raised a stink, but that is not his style. Many in the Midwest have Mike's systems, including me and some guy named Gordon.

Two of the guys are former Microsofties.  One thing that Microsoft pushes its employees to do is apply for patents. It does not matter if there is prior art.  Microsoft is very good at securing patents.  It no longer matters if there is prior art since the move to first inventor to file in 2013.   

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2015, 08:39:04 pm »

Two of the guys are former Microsofties.  One thing that Microsoft pushes its employees to do is apply for patents. It does not matter if there is prior art.  Microsoft is very good at securing patents.  It no longer matters if there is prior art since the move to first inventor to file in 2013.   

Trademark law vs patent law, Mark. There are common law trademarks that can stand in their area of use if the common law holder disputes the trademark.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2015, 06:06:27 am »
Trademark law vs patent law, Mark. There are common law trademarks that can stand in their area of use if the common law holder disputes the trademark.

I was just commenting about the fact the guys running the company were conditioned to apply for patents for anything that may be patentable during their tenure at Microsoft. 

Trademarks are forever, that is, unless they are abandoned.  I am surprised that the guy at Pico Brewing never registered his trademark.  I had a small (as in one man small) operating system extension software company back in my late twenties.  I registered my trademark and filed for copyright protection for all of my products even though they were copyrighted the moment that they were completed.  That was before software patents were the mess that they are today.  I was told that registration is a prerequisite for filing an infringement suit.

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2015, 12:27:55 pm »
This looks very cool and I was excited to see a few of my local brewers here in Sacramento are involved (Track 7 and New Helvetia).

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2015, 02:44:07 pm »
The Pico sounds like the Keurig of the brewing world.
That doesn't really fit. I think Denny said the beer from the Pico was actually good.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2015, 12:16:17 pm »
I am not sure about the set it and forget it style of brewing myself. I am sure there is plenty of market but I guess I am more hands on. Crush, mash, vorlauf, lauter, boil, cool, ferment, keg ...all gravity, no pumps, hands on. Cheap and easy.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 12:18:40 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2015, 09:46:31 am »
I am not sure about the set it and forget it style of brewing myself. I am sure there is plenty of market but I guess I am more hands on. Crush, mash, vorlauf, lauter, boil, cool, ferment, keg ...all gravity, no pumps, hands on. Cheap and easy.

Keep in mind that the market for the Pico is not really homewbrewers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline crynski

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2015, 03:29:24 am »
The market appears to be gadget junkie millennials, which of course means I want one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2015, 10:05:12 am »
The market appears to be gadget junkie millennials, which of course means I want one.

well, that's one.  They have a huge worldwide market in places where access to good beer may be limited.  Those people can now make recipes from breweries all over the world even if they can't go out and buy the beer those breweries make.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline crynski

• Cellarman
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2015, 05:07:46 pm »
And people who have moved away from favorite places I would imagine.  I am also hopeful it gives those 5L kegs a popularity boost, as I was thinking of going that route in the future.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2016, 11:01:11 am »
Jump bumping this to see who is interested...at $699 it's easier to swallow than the previous model. I'm interested to hear how the 1.3 gallon or so batches turn out and if the results are fairly repeatable.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2016, 11:04:27 am »
Jump bumping this to see who is interested...at $699 it's easier to swallow than the previous model. I'm interested to hear how the 1.3 gallon or so batches turn out and if the results are fairly repeatable.

If you look at the Kickstarter video they posted, you can see me trying the beers.  They were as good as any beer made any other way.  And yes, it's incredibly repeatable...that's half the purpose.  Keep in mind, though, that the Pico has some limitations the Zymatic doesn't.  For one thing, you're limited to pre made recipe packs.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2016, 11:28:07 am »

If you look at the Kickstarter video they posted, you can see me trying the beers.  They were as good as any beer made any other way.  And yes, it's incredibly repeatable...that's half the purpose.  Keep in mind, though, that the Pico has some limitations the Zymatic doesn't.  For one thing, you're limited to pre made recipe packs.

Denny, please send me your Pico...for science.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2016, 11:37:16 am »

Denny, please send me your Pico...for science.

:)  Sorry, I don't have a Pico yet...just a Zymatic.

www.dennybrew.com